Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I'm trying to get VNC working on Damn Small Linux. I installed the package, and I can get the viewer to work. However what I want to do is get ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

[SOLVED] VNC on DSL

I'm trying to get VNC working on Damn Small Linux. I installed the package, and I can get the viewer to work. However what I want to do is get the server working so that I can remote connect to users. When I do connect instead of the active session all I get is a grey screen with an xterm window.

I've done a lot of searching for this, but cannot seem to find a good answer. What I'd like to do is connect to the native X session. I've tried changing things in the xstartup file to things such as "-display :0" but it still doesn't work. Any help is appreciated, thank you.

This is pretty old but probably still works:
    RealVNC - Native X display support
    A little "cheat" I sometimes use to get a Linux machine's desktop is to log into it, and on that screen you have that is greyed out with a terminal type into the terminal:
    Code:
    vncviewer localhost:0
    Which connects to the desktop without having to do the above configurations. Hope this helps.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!
    Hey Dan, thanks for the reply. I just tested it, and I get this:

vncviwer: ConnectToTCPAddr: connect: Connection refused
    Unable to connect to VNC server

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Goosed, I think I'm the one that's "goosed." I spent the major part of yesterday trying to find the command that will allow you to access your native desktop but even though the error you posted is everywhere over the net, I cannot find a clear answer or I'm just not seeing it.

Of the machines where I use this, all are Ubuntu. The way to gain access to the native display in Ubuntu is a box you check in Preferences > Remote Desktop > Allow others to view your desktop. This works perfectly. It is frustrating that I cannot find anything that explains what this does or the command it invokes!

Of course, this does not help you since you are using DSL and as I remember, DSL doesn't have the same type remote desktop utility. Do you see anything in your menu that allows for desktop sharing? If so, it will need to be enabled before what I suggested will work.

I'll continue to look. Maybe the answer is staring me in the face on the pages I've read over, (and I've been over many!) but I've tried a number of commands, options and configuration and nothing I've done will allow me the same privileges to access localhost:0 on a non Ubuntu machine.

In light of this, it would be a good idea to go ahead and edit your /etc/X11/xorg.conf to include the changes listed in the first link. By implementing those, you will have native access simply by logging into the DSL server from another machine with a VNC client. I've done this on many machines and it works well.

Sorry I couldn't help more...

Just Joined!
    If memory serves, VNC uses either port 5800~5801 OR 5900~5901.
    Sounds to me like a Firewall issue. Most likely IPTables. Unless you have something else installed... Likely turning off your firewall will either help or doing the following to allow connection:

Allow incoming TCP traffic on port 5900 (VNC) for adapter eth0

iptables -A INPUT -i eth0 -p tcp -m tcp --dport 5900 -j ACCEPT

More on this can be found here:

h t t p://w w w . higherpass . com / linux / Tutorials / Iptables-Primer/

Hope that helps...

Just Joined!
    Hey Dan, thanks for your help. The DSL install didn't come with vncserver; I had to install that from their repository. I know how you feel though, it is very frustrating here too!

Additionally the 'better' news is that there is NO xorg.conf file with DSL. The X server starts up with a command in .xserverrc. This file contains:

Code:
    exec /usr/bin/X11/Xvesa -mouse "/dev/psaux",5 -screen 1024x768x32 -shadow -nolisten tcp -I &>/dev/null
    So unfortunately it doesn't look like I can load the vnc.so module in the xorg.conf file :/

And I don't think it's a firewall issue Jason. I can actually get VNC working, I just can't connect to the :0 active session.

You may want to consider making an xorg.conf and see where that goes. As su:
    Code:
    Xorg -configure
    See here for more detailed instructions. After creation, add those vnc configurations. You can always delete the created xorg.conf if it goes screwy on you.

If there's any way you can use Ubuntu, all this you are wanting to do becomes a piece of cake. Understandable though if your hardware will not accommodate Ubuntu and needs a smaller distro to run satisfactorily.

Just Joined!
    It looks like they have a package for XFree86. I think I'll give it a go with that. Unfortunately "Xorg -configure" does nothing :/

I forgot DSL is still on 2.4 kernel and is not an active distro. If there is an XFree86Config file there, you should be able to edit it just the same way.

An interesting note... I've been logging into an Ubuntu machine at work using tightVnc for a while now and then doing "vncviewer localhost:0" to get its desktop without problems. Just yesterday, we were logging in and got the "could not connect error" you ran into! This was totally baffling as the machine was set to allow remote log ins. I tried everything and still got the error. Out of desperation, I rebooted it and everything worked again as it is supposed to! Perhaps give that a try if you haven't already!
    Last edited by Dapper Dan; 06-17-2010 at 11:22 PM.

Just Joined!
    ha I'll try that! You never know right? Oh and what part of SC?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast