Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just discovered some programs (gzine, xine, xmms, juk) which I removed with pkgtool (thinking at the time that they could be reinstalled from the removed directory--NOT) are now prohibiting ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

Running SLACKPKG

I just discovered some programs (gzine, xine, xmms, juk) which I removed with pkgtool (thinking at the time that they could be reinstalled from the removed directory--NOT) are now prohibiting me from using k3b to backup my user data.
    It was suggested to me earlier to use slackpkg, which I have now read, should be use to reinstall them.
    I have now made the required change in mirrors (using cdrom:/media/cdrom). I want to reinstall from CD.
    I now wonder if this will really allow me to reinstall from CD just these particular applications? OR
    will it download all of the apps in kde and kdei from the CD then allow me to selectively install applications? OR
    will it just reinstall everything?
    Is it going to give me an capability to reinstall from kde or kdei?
    I have made NO changes to slackpkg.conf
    I am a bit nervous as it turned out my last backup was less that adequate and don't wish to loose 3 years of research by screwing up things with my lack of slackpkg familiarity.

For an interesting and informative discussion on the merits and demerits of using SLACKPKG, please see:
    www(dot)salixos(dot)org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=856
    This was a discussion mostly between developers.