Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi there, A friend of my wife has opened up a hair salon. Not to big, only about 4 people working there so far. They purchased a POS system, that ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Smile Looking for Salon Management software - Please help :)

Hi there,

A friend of my wife has opened up a hair salon. Not to big, only about 4 people working there so far. They purchased a POS system, that promptly failed a few days after purchase. They couldn't get any support through the manufacture or the seller as they didn't purchase the "customer care" package. To me thats absolute bull cocky, since it was a hardware issue. Since then he's been trying to find a new solution. He told me that the cheapest software he was able to find, that does what he wants, is around $1400 - software only not including hardware (and from the pictures he's shown me it looks like a telnet session or old dos based software)

I figured this can be done more efficiently if I build him a linux box running on a Mini-ITX system, with about 2gb of ram and maybe 500gb HDD. Small. Compact. Powerful enough to do what he needs and more. Maybe put in a 22" or 24" monitor. And I know there are usb powered "register drawers" available that are quite inexpensive.

Problem is I'm running into a problem with finding any software for linux that does Salon management. When I'm talking Salon Management, I'm talking P.O.S functionality, booking appointments, reminders, inventory, and if possible, would keep track of services and products sold to a customer (customer history). I know that GnomeSalon will allow customers to even book appointments online. Problem is - it hasn't been updated on sourceforge since 2003.

I've got a cloud system at home which I currently use for backups. On the cloud server I have a tape back up system. I am hoping to use Ubuntu 10.04 as the OS on this system, so that I can take advantage of the cloud capabilities - and see if I can work a deal where I'll take care of backing up his data remotely for a few $$ a month.

I don't think he needs anything enterprise level. Its one salon. It just opened. But who knows what the future will bring - but he can look into something enterprise level when he's got the $$ to back it up lol

I'm looking for any and all suggestions on this. I'm not looking for a strictly free alternative either. I'm sure if it's not to expensive, and the features are good, then he'll look at it as a viable option.

My way of trying to introduce more Linux to the world

Carlo

Hi there and Welcome.
    POS Software Imonggo - Free Online Web-based Point of Sale System
    Sounds kinda weird to me, but I just though I'd throw that out there.

Linux Canada
    Quasar! Looks interesting.

Free Accounting Software | GnuCash
    Gnucash is pretty good.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    Hey Mike,
    thanks for the quick reply!

The first two are good examples of basic POS and inventory function software, but I was hoping to find something more dedicated toward salon's. A search on the net found me tons for Windows, but only a small handful for linux - one is in german, but I think they have an english translated version (website: salon.xe-media.ch/pos/) , and another in french (found on source forge).

GnuCash is another good idea - but I don't think this guy has much clue about doing accounting or double entries.

But thanks for the idea's I hope that there will be other solutions available to. I'm not rushing into this. I'll be compiling a list of pro's and con's for each software, and present it to him when he's ready, and he can make his decision based on the research that's been done. I've already sourced out the hardware side, and know that I'm looking at about $500 w/monitor for that. Ubuntu = Free. If he needs to spend $300 on software, he's still saving money compared to the $1400 software only quotes he has received previously.

No problem.
    I think it would really awesome if you could compile a list of pro's and con's for each software and post it here, there may be others who desire the same information.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    Thats not a bad idea as I start going through it, and find more software I'll do that! If I find any I can download and test, I can have my wife go through them and let me know what she thinks as an end users prospective (ie: ease of use, and features)