Find the answer to your Linux question:
I recently installed Google-Chrome on CRUX. Everything is working as expected with one exception... It will not display .png images. Just for fun, I opened Google-Chrome briefly as root and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Interesting problem with Google-Chrome

I recently installed Google-Chrome on CRUX. Everything is working as expected with one exception... It will not display .png images. Just for fun, I opened Google-Chrome briefly as root and .png images are displayed. Chrome does not have problems displaying .png files on any of my Ubuntu boxes. It appears to be a permissions issue somewhere. I thought perhaps it was with libpng so I changes permissions to full on /usr/lib/libpng*. This makes no difference. Anyone have any ideas why .png images will display while running Chrome as root but not as regular user? Thanks.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

From what I know Crux uses ports as a "package manager". So I suppose Chrome is dynamically linked to the libraries. Have you tried running ldd on the binary to see if you find the library with the wrong permissions?
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Don't PM me with questions, instead post in the forums

As it turned out, something simple. I turned off the Adblock plugin and the images now appear. I guess it is another thing that will be worked out as they go. Thanks for repsonding Juan Pablo.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    I recently installed Google-Chrome on CRUX.
    Where did you get it from? I thought Chrome was only available in binary (deb or rpm). I found Chromium in one of the private Crux repos but I understand there are a lot of differences.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

Hi hazel. I downloaded the latest .rpm and converted it with rpm2tgz. I had trouble compiling the one from private ports.

I was about to do the same. I've heard a lot of good things about chrome; it's supposed to be much faster than firefox. But when I read the license agreement I changed my mind. Did you actually read it before you downloaded? It's frightening, the amount of power you agree to give them.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

Quote Originally Posted by hazel View Post
    I was about to do the same. I've heard a lot of good things about chrome; it's supposed to be much faster than firefox. But when I read the license agreement I changed my mind. Did you actually read it before you downloaded? It's frightening, the amount of power you agree to give them.
    What differences have you heard between Chrome and Chromium? AFAIK, the main difference is the chromium doesn't come with the obnoxious EULA, nor the various Google tracking "features".

I've been using chromium for some time now and it definitely feels snappier than Firefox, though I understand they use some trickery to achieve that, drawing the window before the page is rendered and whatnot.

Or there is also SRWare Iron.

Quote Originally Posted by hazel View Post
    Did you actually read it before you downloaded? It's frightening, the amount of power you agree to give them.
    I mainly use google-chrome for Linux to see how it's coming along. Google, Gmail and Facebook are already tracking what I do so another is of no real significance to me. When I really get paranoid about Internet privacy, I use a command line browser through a proxy using public wireless disguised as a deranged dwarf.