Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Originally Posted by Rubberman Well, you didn't mention this Fedora 13 update from FC12. Your signature indicates FC12, etc. It may be a driver problem with FC13. Try getting an ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    Well, you didn't mention this Fedora 13 update from FC12. Your signature indicates FC12, etc. It may be a driver problem with FC13. Try getting an updated driver from AMD.
    It is not FC13 update from FC12. FC13 is installed on a separate partition, so I can still boot my working FC12 system.

I'm not sure where I can get Linux drivers for my hardware (HP Compaq DC7100). I searched www.hp.com, but only Windows drivers are available.
    I suppose that all Linux drivers should be available on FC13 installation DVD. At least FC12 works out of the box, no third party drivers are required.
    Fedora_20@Dell_Latitude_E7440
    Ubuntu_14.04_LTS@HP_Compaq_DC7100

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Ok. It's getting clearer to me. FC12 works, FC13 doesn't. Obviously, there is some sort of regression regarding the video drivers on FC13. Since 13 is pretty much "bleading edge", my suggestion is to revert to the more stable FC12.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Thanks!

I shall try posting this question at the Fedora forum. Maybe someone gets triggered to fix this driver.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by blnl View Post
    Thanks!

I shall try posting this question at the Fedora forum. Maybe someone gets triggered to fix this driver.
    Have you tried looking on the AMD/ATI web site for an updated driver for your video hardware? You also might want to post a bug report there as well as on the Fedora site. I know that I had to report some bugs (regressions) to nVidia and squeak a bit before they finally fixed the problem (performance, CPU utilization, pixelization, etc) with their GeForce drivers. At least they did get an engineer in touch with me to help them with some diagnostics. It took awhile, but eventually pretty much every thing was resolved. That was earlier this year.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    Have you tried looking on the AMD/ATI web site for an updated driver for your video hardware? You also might want to post a bug report there as well as on the Fedora site.
    This is not about ATI video adapter. The machine in question has Intel 915G Express video card.

Right now I'm installing FC13 on the machine with ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 video card. I'm curious to see if this machine will suffer from the same problem.

The other machine has the same problem.
    I have removed all xscreensaver packages. Now I'm using "Pop art squares" screensaver and everything works fine, no issues with render error.
    This issue is strongly related to xscreensaver plug-in for gnome screensaver (xscreensaver-extras-gss xscreensaver-gl-extras-gss). It is possibly a bug in xscreensaver.

Quote Originally Posted by blnl View Post
    This issue is strongly related to xscreensaver plug-in for gnome screensaver (xscreensaver-extras-gss xscreensaver-gl-extras-gss). It is possibly a bug in xscreensaver.
    It may be related to an issue that started after upgrading Fedora that I initially thought was due to xscreensaver but ended up being related to changes in gdk-pixbuf and a small change in the shared-mime-info package which made gtk+ fail to load or convert images that have no file extension (or something to that effect ~ there seems to be an ongoing argument about who should fix what.).

It seems that as of 0.51 of shared-mime-info someone added
    Code:
    <match value="#" type="string" offset="3"/>
    to each image/x-portable-* entry in the file freedesktop.org.xml found in the /usr/share/mime/packages/ directory

So I commented out those lines and ran
    Code:
    update-mime-database /usr/share/mime
    and xscreensaver has run without errors since.

Hope that helps.

Note: I tried to post a link to the gentoo bug (id 261332) where I found the fix for this but I don't have permission to post links here.
    Last edited by modal; 01-21-2011 at 04:43 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2