Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi All, I am using Firefox/3.6.3 ,My firefox crashes frequently , I use to reinstall evertime. Proble. When I start firefox brower it won't start ,when I start using command ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Thumbs up firefox crashes frequently

Hi All,
    I am using Firefox/3.6.3 ,My firefox crashes frequently , I use to reinstall evertime.

Proble.
    When I start firefox brower it won't start ,when I start using command line then it will show below message, Can anyone suggest me wat is the causing firefox and how to rectify it.

/opt/firefox-3.6/firefox/firefox & [ started using command line , getting below message]
    [1] 3579
    /opt/firefox-3.6/firefox/firefox-bin: error while loading shared libraries: /opt/firefox-3.6/firefox/libxul.so: cannot restore segment prot after reloc: Permission denied

[1]+ Exit 127 /opt/firefox-3.6/firefox/firefox

Thanks .
    Last edited by jaysoon; 07-14-2010 at 02:01 PM. Reason: spell correct

: /opt/firefox-3.6/firefox/libxul.so: cannot restore segment prot after reloc: Permission denied
    What's your distro ? Did you install it as root? Check the permission of above file ..
    ls -l /opt/firefox-3.6/firefox/libxul.so
    First they ignore you,Then they laugh at you,Then they fight with you,Then you win. - M.K.Gandhi
    -----
    FOSS India Award winning ext3fs Undelete tool www.giis.co.in. Online Linux Terminal http://www.webminal.org

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    It sounds like you have a corrupted library. Try reinstalling or updating the xulrunner package on your system.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 14757340 Aug 9 08:21 libxul.so

As I installed as root under /opt/firefox/

Linux User

firefox crashes frequently

Next time it occurs, before reinstalling the ...-bin and ....so files, run a find / -name xxxxx to see if they exists somewhere else then you need only create a link.
    I found this:
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 44680 2010-06-23 22:49 /usr/lib/firefox-3.5.2/firefox-bin and
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 15885800 2010-06-27 05:12 /usr/lib/firefox-3.5.2/libxul.so on my distro.
    I am running 3.6.6 but the sizes "might" be interesting to check once re-installed.
    FWIW I write down what I install as I install a distro (usually). This can be useful at times too.

Just Joined!
    Sure , I will try this next time if it happened. I Thank all of you for the support.

Just Joined!
    Today had different problem. After posting the article in forum. Firfox closed automatically after restart of brower all cam back

Of course you could always switch to Chromium or one of the other browsers, or try the new 4.0 Firefox.