Find the answer to your Linux question:
Using Slackware 13.0. Have a Microdia web cam (60fc) and was (still am) looking for a simple free application to test it. Found a site which identified the drivers, modules, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

Webcam problems

Using Slackware 13.0.
    Have a Microdia web cam (60fc) and was (still am) looking for a simple free application to test it.
    Found a site which identified the drivers, modules, etc. needed so was checking my messages file and noticed that the Image Sensor HV7131R is not always identified as being detected when booting:
    kernel: usb 1-1.3: HV7131R image sensor detected
    Is this a problem or what?

I found modules videodev, V4L2, but could not find compat_ioctl32 and it is not listed in the modules loaded. Is this correct? Could not "find" it.
    I see usbcore listed during booting but does this mean it is a module? or a driver? or what?

Also cannot find the an appropriate module that is for either ehci_hcd or uhci_hcd related as both of these appear in the messages. Can someone explain?

Also I see that the camera is for SN9C105 bridge and know that the "sn9c105" is supposed to be included in "sn9c102" module(?) but the SN9C105 camera notation does not always appear in messages. Is this correct? or (I think) I am confused by the numbering and cases used, i.e. what is a module (loadable?) a bridge and why change cases? Can someone straighten me out?

Are all modules loaded listed by lsmod or just the loadable ones and usbcore etc. are "modules" loaded at another time?

Sorry if got this in the wrong bin but it started as a web cam proble.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by clickit View Post
    Using Slackware 13.0.
    Have a Microdia web cam (60fc) and was (still am) looking for a simple free application to test it.
    Found a site which identified the drivers, modules, etc. needed so was checking my messages file and noticed that the Image Sensor HV7131R is not always identified as being detected when booting:
    kernel: usb 1-1.3: HV7131R image sensor detected
    Is this a problem or what?

I found modules videodev, V4L2, but could not find compat_ioctl32 and it is not listed in the modules loaded. Is this correct? Could not "find" it.
    I see usbcore listed during booting but does this mean it is a module? or a driver? or what?

Also cannot find the an appropriate module that is for either ehci_hcd or uhci_hcd related as both of these appear in the messages. Can someone explain?

Also I see that the camera is for SN9C105 bridge and know that the "sn9c105" is supposed to be included in "sn9c102" module(?) but the SN9C105 camera notation does not always appear in messages. Is this correct? or (I think) I am confused by the numbering and cases used, i.e. what is a module (loadable?) a bridge and why change cases? Can someone straighten me out?

Are all modules loaded listed by lsmod or just the loadable ones and usbcore etc. are "modules" loaded at another time?

Sorry if got this in the wrong bin but it started as a web cam proble.
    try cheese, it works for me !
    hope that helps

Linux User

Webcam problems

Ok, I've tried using mplayer to test my webcam. At this point I have used 13 various combinations of:
    mplayer tv:// -tv driver=v4l2:width=640:height=480:device=/dev/video0 -fps 15 -vf screenshot
    all of which worked for someone else.
    The Frame comes up on my display with various green, yellow, and white "noise" lines appearing across the top 1/8th of the frames window.
    How can I know if my web cam is toast?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close