Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have created 6 different command strings to watch TV on my computer using mplayer. They all work except NONE produces audio. One command string that works that way: mplayer ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

Watching TV with mplayer

I have created 6 different command strings to watch TV on my computer using mplayer. They all work except NONE produces audio. One command string that works that way:
    mplayer -tv driver=v4l2:input=0:norm=ntsc:chanlist=us-cable:channel=3 tv://
    uses NONE of the audio options used by the others which use: alsa, -ao alsa, ,:forceaudio, :amode=0, and/or :audiorate=32000 in some combination. I checked the hardware/connections.
    I can play mplayer <afile>.wav, aplay <afile>.wav, and can cat <afile>.wav to either /dev/dsp or /dev/audio and get the appropriate sound or noise in the later 2 instances.
    alsamixer is set up and unmuted for the Master and Master Mono, PCM, and PC Speaker amongst others.
    # cat /proc/asound/cards produces:
    0 [V8235 ]: VIA8233 - VIA 8235
    VIA 8235 with ALC650F at 0xe000, irq 5
    1 [Bt878 ]: Bt87x - Brooktree Bt878
    Brooktree Bt878 at 0xdddff000, irq 10
    2 [camera ]: USB-Audio - USB camera
    USB camera at usb-0000:00:10.3-1.3, full speed
    and # ls /dev/aud* yields:
    /dev/audio /dev/audio1 /dev/audio2
    Thanks for any help.
    Last edited by clickit; 08-01-2010 at 09:32 PM.

Linux User

Watching TV with mplayer

By using the following command string I have found success:
    TV="-tv driver=v4l2:device=/dev/video1:width=640:height=480:norm=NTSC:chanlist=us-cable:channel=3"
    AUD="adevice=/dev/audio:alsa=on:audiorate=44100:amode=0:forceaudio"
    PIC="-hue 0 -contrast 10 -brightness 0 -saturation 0"
    DASH="-ao alsa,oss, -vo xv,xll,dga, -aspect 4:3"
    mplayer tv:// $TV:$AUD:quality=75 $PIC $DASH
    One thing that continues to bug me is that when booting the "image sensor" for the sn9c102 camera by Microdia is not always detected and will then use gspca. Not sure that is a problem but if I leave the USB camera unplugged when I boot and run cat /proc/asound/cards the card order becomes different after I plug it in which is different from just being plugged in when I boot up.
    This changes whether to use video1 or video0 in the script I use. Appreciate if someone with a recent version of Slackware would validate this cituation for me.

Thank you for sharing the solution.