Find the answer to your Linux question:
After a long time of happy Skyping, I now seem to have picked up a conflict. When I try to open Skype 2.1 Beta which is the one on Ubuntu ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Skype conflict on Ubuntu 10.04

After a long time of happy Skyping, I now seem to have picked up a conflict. When I try to open Skype 2.1 Beta which is the one on Ubuntu that I have been using, the login fails. The message is that there is possibly another version of Skype already in operation.

I went to the Skype site and changed my password, then I connected via the Skype website, no problem, but with straight Beta. This works fine, but when I exit Skype, I have to re-connect via the website again, the version on my system is unable to connect, apparently due to the presence of the other version.

I have uninstalled all Skype software and re-installed afresh, still does not help. Can someone please help?

Start Skype from terminal, do you see any error messages? It may be as simple as having a stale lock file.

Just Joined!
    Thanks, starting in terminal sorted out sequence, opened 2.1 Beta but I think the straight Beta version must be somewhere, have tried to locate it and delete it to avoid similar problems in future but unable to find it.

If there is another Skype running you should see it with ps command.

Just Joined!
    Thanks, how do I initiate ps command?

Open a terminal and type ps.

ps a
    ps ax

See man ps for syntax.