Find the answer to your Linux question:
Can I assume that Audible ( aa files ) cannot be handled by Linux in any way? I have paid and downloaded some audiobooks from Download Audio Books, iPod And ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

audible.com audiobooks with Linux problem

Can I assume that Audible ( aa files ) cannot be handled by Linux in any way?
    I have paid and downloaded some audiobooks from Download Audio Books, iPod And Digital Audio Books | Downloadable Online Audio Books | Audible Audiobooks | Audible.com and I cannot find any way to get them on to my ipod.
    I've tried Wine with Itunes but that doesn't work and one or two other 'windoze' progs to convert to mp3 but non of them work.
    -keevill-

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Most of these books are DRM "protected". You probably need to install them on your "reader" on a supported (Windows or Mac) system. You might be able to use Windows on a virtual machine on Linux. FWIW, I refuse to support ANY vendor of books (audio or ebook format) that requires the use of DRM. It is just too intrusive, and makes it so that I cannot use the book on any player of my choice.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    Most of these books are DRM "protected". You probably need to install them on your "reader" on a supported (Windows or Mac) system. You might be able to use Windows on a virtual machine on Linux. FWIW, I refuse to support ANY vendor of books (audio or ebook format) that requires the use of DRM. It is just too intrusive, and makes it so that I cannot use the book on any player of my choice.
    I am going to try windoze within vbox later. I totally agree with your comments re DRM . I didn't pay attention when I bought these audiobooks - they are the last I buy from audible.com
    Too many hoops to jump through to use them.
    -keevill-

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by keevill View Post
    I am going to try windoze within vbox later. I totally agree with your comments re DRM . I didn't pay attention when I bought these audiobooks - they are the last I buy from audible.com
    Too many hoops to jump through to use them.
    -keevill-
    I tried installing Itunes within Virtualbox 3.2.8 and it kept crashing ( Itunes ) and would not start cleanly.

I tried using a couple of DRM removal tools within Vbox - Daniusoft Media converter and Aimersoft Music Converter and despite reading that they are the tools to do it, they did not. I just got errors such as authentication error.
    Whether this is caused by running in Vbox or not, I cannot say.

In the end , the only way to get the damn audiobooks was to use a friend's AppleMac machine and add them to his library ( I had to give my login credentials for Audible.com ) and then copied the files over to my Ipod from his Mac.

I won't be buying any more AA files from Audible.com if I cannot find an easier way .
    -keevill-