Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Using Debian Lenny OpenOffice 2.4 I'm trying to fill in an application form that I downloaded. It has some shaded areas where I can answer questions, but there are a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

OpenOffice document: need to add text to readonly content

Using Debian Lenny
    OpenOffice 2.4

I'm trying to fill in an application form that I downloaded. It
    has some shaded areas where I can answer questions, but there are
    a couple places where the shaded areas are missing.

One place it has this question:
    Have you previously applied with the C.B.E? Yes No
    There is no place to answer the question. Here there is no shaded
    area to accept the answer. If I try to put a check mark beside
    yes or no I get this response:

"Readonly content cannot be changed
    No modifications will be accepted."

Can I add a shaded area in so I can fill this in, or can I
    disable the read only part?

Thanks

Hi Joe,
    If memory serves, I had this problem too. It was a while ago so I don't remember exactly what I did. I suspect this was originally in .doc format and so has some problems when converted to .odt. Maybe if you attach the file people (such as me) could play with it and come up with a solution for you. I'd tell you how I did it but I just don't remember but I'm sure somebody will if the file as available.
    Ciao,
    jdk

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by jdkaye View Post
    Maybe if you attach the file people (such as me) could play with it and come up with a solution for you.
    Ciao,
    jdk
    I tried but the site won't upload .odt files, and the .doc file is way to big.
    When I save it to a .doc file from a .odt file I can write to it, but all the shaded
    areas get coverted to "FormCheckBox" so there is a lot of cleanup; plus the form
    get converted from 2 to 3 pages, which I don't want.

Thanks

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Is there are link to the file where anyone can download it? I'll be happy to take a look at it if you tell me how to get it.
    I find it bizarre that you can attach .doc files but not .odt files to a site named "linuxforums" but I guess there must be a good reason for it.
    cheers,
    jdk

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by jdkaye View Post
    Is there are link to the file where anyone can download it? I'll be happy to take a look at it if you tell me how to get it.
    jdk
    Here is the url:
    Calgary Board of Education - Careers
    Click on the link:
    Click here to fill out the Job Competition Application (Word file)

These are the lines that are the problem:
    Have you previously applied with the C.B.E? Yes No

Have you previously worked with the C.B.E.? Yes No

When I saved the application as or converted it to a .doc
    file it was alright until I saved it and opened it the second time then I got the problem with the document being messed up.

success!

Hi Joe,
    Success! I could do it. I have attached a zip file which I have partially filled in just to provide proof of concept. It is a zip file just to make linuxforums happy but all you have to do is change the name from my_B043.zip to my_B043.odt and you can look at it with openoffice.

I would strongly advise you to upgrade your openoffice from 2.4 to 3.2. Using 2.4, particularly when converting M$ docs, will give you no end of grief.

Here's how to do it.

1. Load the .doc into (your new) openoffice.
    2. Save the .doc as an .odt file and close openoffice.
    3. Reopen openoffice and fill in the .odt document you saved previously (everything should work fine).
    4. Either send the Calgary people the .odt file or export the .odt file as a pdf file and they should be happy with that.

Note that changing the file back to .doc seems to lose the check box information but not the text box information. I would also strongly complain about a public institution's use of proprietary formats.

I hope this helps and good luck on your application.
    Ciao,
    jdk (a fellow canuck)
    Attached Files Attached Files

Just Joined!

I have this problem too

Hello,

I'm having the exact same problem. I am using Openoffice 3.2, and converted a doc to an odt using jdkaye's suggested method. I still can't edit the fields I need to (Degree level as of Sept 2010). In addition, there is a drop down menu that pops up when I click in these fields, but when I select from this menu, nothing appears in the box.

Anyone have any ideas?

I've posted an image giving the link in question, which I can't link directly to because this is my first post on the forum
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Polt,
    I downloaded the ubc form and filled it out easily with the same method described above. The "drop down menu" is an input field or a multiple choice field . Just fill in the field (or select one of the menu items). And that's it. I don't know what your problem is. As I said before you must first save the doc as an .odt file and then, when you're done, export it as a pdf file. I don't know how you can sign the application unless you print it out and mail it to them.

As before I have filled in a few items just to show you it can be done. Rename the attached file from ...zip to ...odt and you can view the results in openoffice
    Cheers,
    jdk
    Attached Files Attached Files

Just Joined!
    I don't know what my problem is, either, but I still can't really edit the whole file. When I do what you have said, there is no improvement. When I use the file you have supplied, I can edit some of the fields, but I can't change the sizes of any of the table rows or columns or anything like that. Even though I will ultimately need to print this out, I still need to be able to edit it on the computer.

Dazed and confused?

I am using Openoffice 3.2, and converted a doc to an odt using jdkaye's suggested method. I still can't edit the fields I need to (Degree level as of Sept 2010). In addition, there is a drop down menu that pops up when I click in these fields, but when I select from this menu, nothing appears in the box.
    Sorry but I really don't know what your problem is. You first say that you can't edit the "Degree level..." field but I can put in any of the choices. I got a selection of different levels (Doctoral, Masters, Undergraduate, etc.) and clicked on Masters and, voilą! it appears in the application. This seems to solve your original problem.

Now you say,
    but I can't change the sizes of any of the table rows or columns or anything like that.
    Can you be more specific? Everything seems to fit into the space provided without the need too edit anything. What exactly do you need to change? If I don't understand what you want to do it's hard to explain how to do it, eh?
    jdk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast