Find the answer to your Linux question:
Using Debian Lenny I have been trying to view this website: Getting Started Wetshaving ~ Tutorial - Badger & Blade From what I'm reading it sounds like there should be ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Trouble viewing websites

Using Debian Lenny

I have been trying to view this website:
    Getting Started Wetshaving ~ Tutorial - Badger & Blade
    From what I'm reading it sounds like there should be some pictures. I
    found this on other sites as well
    I use Iceweasel for a browser. I have the following packages installed:
    i A sun-java6-bin
    i sun-java6-jdk
    i A sun-java6-jre
    i sun-java6-plugin

Apparantly there is something else I need to install. Can someone
    help me with this?

Thanks

Linux Guru
    No problems viewing it in firefox 3.6. Do you not have firefox with Debian? I've not used Iceweasel so not sure what you would need there. Someone else should come along who can help with that.

Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    No problems viewing it in firefox 3.6. Do you not have firefox with Debian? I've not used Iceweasel so not sure what you would need there. Someone else should come along who can help with that.
    Iceweasel is Firefox. Debian doesn't use the name "Firefox" nor the logo because of licensing issues but the browser code is identical so anything working on (the same version) of Firefox should work on Iceweasel.

Joe: I'm using Iceweasel version 3.6.8 with 2.6.32-amd64 and I can view the site normally. I see one photo of an old razor aside from the thumbnail photos serving as avatars. BTW, are you using Lenny for any particular reason?
    cheers,
    jdk

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    There are a bunch of broken picture links. Oddly, they don't show up in Firefox for me, but you can see the broken picture icon in Chrome.

It's not you, it's just the site.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by jdkaye View Post
    Iceweasel is Joe: I'm using Iceweasel version 3.6.8 with 2.6.32-amd64 and I can view the site normally. I see one photo of an old razor aside from the thumbnail photos serving as avatars. BTW, are you using Lenny for any particular reason?
    cheers,
    jdk
    I use Lenny because I wanted a stable version of Linux. I tried Kubuntu and had some problems with it, and I liked Debian better. What distro would you suggest?
    I thought of trying testing in Debian to get more updated packages, but don't know how stable the packages are and the security updates are?

Thanks

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeS View Post
    I thought of trying testing in Debian to get more updated packages, but don't know how stable the packages are and the security updates are?
    If you really want a stable Linux, I'd recommend staying clear of the testing branch, although you can often replace packages that break something by downgrading to the previous package if you keep old packages in the package cache. Sometimes (if you upgraded lots of packages), it's hard to know which package broke things, and sometimes it doesn't work when you try downgrading to a previous package. The testing branch is meant for those users that want to try out the newer packages and then report any bugs that might appear, and they don't mind things breaking now and then.

That said, Debian's stable branch is generally about as stable as it gets with Linux.
    oz