Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello Partclone works fine, but since it's written in Curses, it's unrealistic to expect non-techies to use it to clone a hard-drive. I was wondering if there is an X-based ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Question X-based alternative to Partclone?

Hello

Partclone works fine, but since it's written in Curses, it's unrealistic to expect non-techies to use it to clone a hard-drive.

I was wondering if there is an X-based alternative, preferably in GTK+.

Thank you.

oz
    forum.guy
    I'm not personally aware of any GUI cloning tools for Linux.

The easiest GUI cloning tool that will work with Linux that I've run across is Acronis True Image which is a Windows product, but their bootable live media actually loads and runs from a Linux kernel, and it does have a Windows GUI look about it. The drawback here is that it's not open source and it's not free software, although you do get the updates for free for any particular release once you've registered it. Note that only their most recent version will work natively with ext4 filesystems.

The Linux cloning tools that I'm aware of are Clonezilla, FSArchiver, Ghost4Linux, MondoRescue, PartClone, and PartImage. I've used all of them and find Ghost4Linux, and PartImage to perhaps be the easiest for non-techies, but I personally use FSArchiver and it's been serving me quite well and so far has handled everything that I've thrown at it, except that it's not so good at cloning the MBR. I usually have to reinstall GRUB if I clone to a totally new hard drive.

Edit: just wanted to quickly add that Clonezilla works really well, but non-techies might find the interface somewhat confusing until they successfully used it a few times.
    Last edited by oz; 09-01-2010 at 12:41 AM.
    oz

Linux Newbie
    Thanks for the infos.

Apparently, Redo is the only open-source program that is X-based. I don't know if it only backs up used clusters or the whole disk.

oz
    forum.guy
    Thanks, I've not seen that one before. I read on their webiste that Redo does not allow the restoring of images to a smaller disk or partition. Both, FSArchiver and True Image, do both allow restoring images to smaller disks or partitions and that's an important feature for some users, so possibly worthy of consideration.
    oz

Linux Newbie
    Thanks for the tip. In addition, I tried yesterday to clone a disk to a new disk using Redo, but it didn't work; Apparently, it only supports making an image of a disk, which is surprising since it's just a front-end to Partclone.

So I used Partclone that comes with Clonezilla, and it took 30mn to clone a 40GB partition and 1h15 to clone a 100GB partition.

Just out of curiosity, I'll try again with closed-source applications Acronis True Image and BootIT NG to see if they're faster.