Find the answer to your Linux question:
Is anyone else having problems with Firefox Ver 3.6.8? Lately for no particular reason it just stops, goes all gray and when I look at the process Firefox-bin is running ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Firefox grays out at 100% CPU

Is anyone else having problems with Firefox Ver 3.6.8?
    Lately for no particular reason it just stops, goes all gray and when I look at the process Firefox-bin is running at 100% or more. Occasionally it only lasts a few seconds but often and can even bring the whole machine down requiring a reset to recover. Sometimes it opens, starts loading Gmail and locks up so it's not a particular site causing the problem. I tried the "report a problem" but it was so frustratingly slow that I gave up.
    I'm running Ubuntu 10.04 kernel 2.6.32-24 GNOME 2.30.2 on a Core2 with 2G RAM.
    This is only a recent occurrence but it has forced me to use Chrome till I can fix it.

Linux Guru
    Disable all addons and enable them one by one till you find what is using all the cpu.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by rokytnji View Post
    Disable all addons and enable them one by one till you find what is using all the cpu.
    Hi all,
    this is happening to me sometimes when javascript alert function fires.

I have done fresh installation of firefox and used a new created profile to exclude addons issues, but the result was the same.

This is happenig since more than 6 months for all new versions of firefox for linux (actually i'm using firefox version 3.6.10.

I love firefox since it was born, but now only the addons that I need for my work as firebug and others are the unique reason to remain using it.
    I really need to now what is written in this alert windows...but they are grey, cpu overloaded and only closing the alert window returns firefox to the normality.

Hope someone has a solution to this issue.

Bye

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Either at home or at work or down the pub
    I don't know about the 100% CPU use, but sometimes when Firefox needs a restart after an update any dialogs will pop up empty
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by pepe3456 View Post
    Hi all,
    this is happening to me sometimes when javascript alert function fires.

I have done fresh installation of firefox and used a new created profile to exclude addons issues, but the result was the same.

This is happenig since more than 6 months for all new versions of firefox for linux (actually i'm using firefox version 3.6.10.

I love firefox since it was born, but now only the addons that I need for my work as firebug and others are the unique reason to remain using it.
    I really need to now what is written in this alert windows...but they are grey, cpu overloaded and only closing the alert window returns firefox to the normality.

Hope someone has a solution to this issue.

Bye
    As a long time Firefox user it was with reluctance that I tried Chrome. Firefox was making my whole system unreliable, (and I thought that was very hard to do to Linux) but even getting to the addons to disable them took ages with much time spent with a seemingly locked grey screen where even the clock stopped. Chrome seems to be doing the trick for me at the moment, at least it doesn't hog the CPU.

Just Joined!
    Further to my original post, I have reluctantly moved to Chrome for the time being. As a long time Firefox user it was a hard decision but Firefox was making my whole system unreliable, (and I thought that was very hard to do to Linux) but even getting to the addons to disable them took ages with much time spent with a seemingly locked grey screen where even the clock stopped. Chrome seems to be doing the trick for me at the moment, at least it doesn't hog the CPU.
    If this is an addon problem then I think a situation where a badly written addon is able to cripple the whole system needs to be looked at. Unfortunately I can't even get to the stage of reporting the problem because my computer crashes before I get that far.