Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hope this is the correct forum... In the left pane of Nautilus File Browser, I can only display directory and file names. I don't have the button at the top ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Missing Tree View Option in Nautilus File Browser

Hope this is the correct forum...

In the left pane of Nautilus File Browser, I can only display directory and file names. I don't have the button at the top of the pane which allows me to select an alternate view such as Tree view.

Can anyone advise how to restore this menu button?

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    You should be able to access that feature from the Nautilus "View" menu.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Thanks, Rubberman, for your response, but I can see nothing obvious under View that restores the menu button at the top of the left pane. Can you elaborate on which View option is the one I want?

While researching this issue, it appears others have had the same problem, and proposed solutions include Edit -> Preferences -> Behaviour, and checking option "Always open in browser windows". This does not fix my problem, but apparently it has worked for others. Other suggested solutions do not fix this problem, either.

TIA,
    Jon

oz
    forum.guy
    Have you tried reinstalling Nautilus with your package tool to see if that will get the button back?

If that doesn't work, you could try renaming your Gnome configuration folder/files then restarting Gnome to let those folders/files rebuild themselves. Of course, you'd lose all the Gnome tweaks you already have in place, but it might be worth it if having the button on Nautilus is important to you.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Thanks, ozar, I was hoping it would not have to come to that. I'll try reinstalling shortly...

Regards,
    Jon

Just Joined!
    Finally got back to this...

Uninstalling 2.24.1 and installing 2.24.2 has not resolved this issue, so it may be a configuration issue as suggested by ozar. Can anyone advise where these config folders/files are on F10?

TIA
    Jon

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    In your home directory there are some hidden files (they start with a dot), including some for gnome, such as .gnome, .gnome2, .nautilus, etc. You should be able to find what you need somewhere in there. Since I mostly use KDE, I'm not absolutely sure where you will find the configuration file, so this is about as far as I can take you at the moment.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!

Red face Nautilus missing treeview (tree view) directorytree(directory tree)

All THANKS to drakebasher(user on this forum)

This will reset the the global variables for Nautilus(use on commandline/terminal with user privilege)

nautilus --no-desktop --browser

Source:
    does-nautilus-have-file-tree-view

Nautilus missing sidepane (sidepanel)