Find the answer to your Linux question:
Just wondering if any of you are directing your browser cache to RAM rather than letting it write to the default browser cache located within your /home folder? If so, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    oz
    forum.guy

Browser Cache to RAM

Just wondering if any of you are directing your browser cache to RAM rather than letting it write to the default browser cache located within your /home folder?

If so, are you noticing any significant increases in speed while browsing?

I've been directing the browser cache to RAM for a couple of days now, but not getting the increase in snappiness expected. I've already checked to make certain the cache is indeed going to a tmp file in the system RAM.

Thanks for any feedback from other browser cache to RAM users.
    oz

Is that Firefox you are talking about? You may find this interesting Gentoo Forums :: View topic - [TIP] Firefox and tmpfs: a surprising improvement
    I doubt browser cache is the culprit, in particular if your filesystem allows write buffers.

oz
    forum.guy
    Thanks for the reply and link.

Yes, it's Firefox, but I was actually pretty happy with the browser speed before directing the cache to RAM.

This particular machine uses an SSD so I was wanting to prevent a few disk writes by sending the browser cache to RAM. However, I was also expecting to see a large increase in overall browser snappiness based on comments from others who said there browser seemed much faster after the cache redirect. That hasn't happened here, and I'd already done what the person suggested in the link above, except for the two "safebrowsing" tweaks, but disabling those as suggested didn't change anything, either.

It might be that since this machine uses a fast SSD, redirecting cache to RAM won't make the difference speed-wise that it does for those using mechanical drives. The disappointing part is that I didn't see the huge difference in speed expected when I moved from the HDD to the SSD, either. This made me curious if others that were redirecting their browser cache might be noticing similar results.
    oz