Find the answer to your Linux question:
Last week my ubuntu 8.04 os got a Seamonkey browser update ( 70-80MB totally ) which I was happy to get. The down side is the new seamonkey wiped out ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

I need a program to save my bookmarks in!!

Last week my ubuntu 8.04 os got a Seamonkey browser update ( 70-80MB totally )
    which I was happy to get. The down side is the new seamonkey wiped out all of my many different profiles and the many different bookmarks that were in those profiles ( 300-350 or so )!

I am wondering, and hoping, that there is linux software program available that could independently hold many easily available bookmarks!!

Does anyone know if such a program exists and if they have had any experience
    using it?? Thanks!!
    PCLinuxOS Gnome and PCLinuxOS Mate
    Linux user # 414321
    You Should Not Give In To Evils, But Proceed Ever More Boldly Against Them!! -from book six of Virgil's Aeneid
    Everything Within The Universe Is Related; We Are All Cousins!!

oz
    forum.guy
    If you aren't set on having an additional application to manage bookmarks, you can always use the export function found within SeaMonkey to write a copy of your bookmarks to another file that you store elsewhere, then use the import function to get them back, if needed.
    oz

This was the first time that a seamonkey update did not transfer the profiles and bookmarks into the new installation so I was surprised that it happened.

There isn't any way my old mind is going to even remember the names of some of those websites. I used the different profiles like a filing system to lump similar websites together under one heading. I am really going to miss having them handy.

Perhaps I'll put them on a flash drive, if no programs are available, so that this does not happen to me in the future!!
    Linux user # 414321
    You Should Not Give In To Evils, But Proceed Ever More Boldly Against Them!! -from book six of Virgil's Aeneid

oz
    forum.guy
    Check this HowTo for quick and easy steps to import/export bookmarks:

How to Import Bookmarks to SeaMonkey | eHow.com

Note that you can also use the exported file for importing your bookmarks into a number of other browsers as well, should that ever be needed.

Many of the bookmark managers that are available are web-based, so I don't know if that would be an option for you.
    oz

Thank You, Ozar!!
    Linux user # 414321

You could also try Xmarks(web based), I know it works with Firefox and Chrome. It saves your bookmarks to a server so everytime you lose your bookmarks, for whatever reason, all you need to do is install/login Xmarks and BOOM, your bookmarks are restored.
    Xmarks | Bookmark Sync and Search
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Thanks Mike, I have already made a couple of desktop text folders to hold my URL's in! Eventually I will put them on a flash drive.

It just goes to show how I totally depended on my Seamonkey browser to do everything for me. I have to start over so maybe I'll be a bit more organized this time around!!
    Linux user # 414321

oz
    forum.guy
    I actually keep a couple copies of mine on two different USB drives just in case something should happen to one of the backups. It's simply too much work to lose them all and then have to start from scratch. Good luck with it.
    oz

Ozar, it could be that the good lord wanted me to get out of the internet rut that I was in and go exploring again like I used to every single day!!!

So many websites exist and there is so little time left to my life!!!
    Linux user # 414321