Find the answer to your Linux question:
Now that I've chosen to use kde rather than gnome, I need some alternate programs that are native to kde/qt. Progs I need alternates for Gimp ---- (can this be ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

gnome 2 kde

Now that I've chosen to use kde rather than gnome, I need some alternate programs that are native to kde/qt.

Progs I need alternates for
    Gimp ---- (can this be compiled with kde support?)
    Firefox --- (can this be compiled with kde support?)
    Gaim --- (Kopete? I've used this before but didn't like it too much, I only use msn btw.)
    Games --- (Knights?)
    Programming --- ( I want to do java and c and possibly c++, can kdevelop handle all this?)
    Office --- (I'll probably use OOo rather than k*, unless k* suddenly gets ms support, mainly .doc and .(powerpoint))
    Eog --- (any good image viewers?)

BTW can konqueror use java? I want to be able to play yahoo chess.

Can I make it so that aps start during startup in kde? lstarting kopete everytime I login? I know I can do this in gnome but.............

Post suggestions for programs in the listed catagories or suggest other good programs please.

Linux Newbie
    most of those programs work fine on KDE. I use Firefox, gaim, and OOo, and I could use gimp. There's no problem with KDE.

Just Joined!
    I use Firefox, Gaim, AND Gimp. All work just fine. Gaim and GIMP were built into mine, however old versions, but that just makes it all the more easy to upgrade .

-justin

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Well, yesterday, as I was doing emerge kdelibs, a little problem popped up and kdelibs failed , and does eclipse-sdk, gentoo is getting worse.....

The thing I's trying to say is that I want apps that blend into my desktop, gimp, firefox, eog, etc. were all compiled with gtk/gnome use flags, so I want programs that use kde/qt useflags or are native to kde/qt that do the same thing.

Linux Guru
    What distro are you using? Some installs include both Gnome and KDE:

The /etc/sysconfig/desktop file specifies the desktop for new users and the display manager to be run when entering runlevel 5.

Correct values are:
    DISPLAY=<value>, where <value> is one of the following:
    GNOME Selects the GNOME desktop environment.
    KDE Selects the KDE desktop environment.
    DISPLAYMANAGER=<value>, where <value> is one of the following:
    GDM Selects the GNOME display manager.
    KDM Selects the KDE display manager.
    XDM Selects the XFree86 display manager.
    Credit
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better