Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've been trying to make Linux my only OS and have run into another snag - this time with Firefox. I realize I could try Opera or Chrome but for ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Firefox slower compiling data than in Vista..

I've been trying to make Linux my only OS and have run into another snag - this time with Firefox. I realize I could try Opera or Chrome but for this thread I'm concerned with Firefox.

I still dual-boot and while I've always notice that Firefox doesn't scroll as smoothly as it does in Vista, this latest issue is a concern:

I'm on the BOD for a different club forum (hobby) and need to print a list of the new registrants for various reasons. Firefox initially presents the list in portrait mode but I need it to be in landscape. Generating the initial "print preview" then changing the "print preview" from portrait to landscape takes substantially longer than in Vista on the same box...it's 30-40 seconds in Vista and nearly 2 minutes in Linux - that's a huge difference!!

As I mentioned it's a dual boot so the hardware is the same and it shouldn't involve the HPLIP service as it's a preview.

I don't know if this is an openSuse issue, Kernel issue or something else.

Linux 2.6.34.7-0.3-desktop i686
    openSUSE 11.3 (i586)
    4.4.4 (KDE 4.4.4) "release 2"

GeForce 6150SE nForce 430
    2D driver: nvidia
    3D driver: NVIDIA 256.35

AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+

Total memory (RAM): 2.8 GiB
    Free memory: 1.5 GiB (+ 1,004.2 MiB Caches)
    Free swap: 2.0 GiB

Firefox 3.6.10

Thanks!

-Eric

oz
    forum.guy
    If you happen to be using xorg 1.9.0 with nVidia 256.xx, there is a bug causing various graphics issues, and you'll need to upgrade your nVidia drivers to 260.19.06, or later. If memory serves, users were also having the same issue with nvidia drivers and xorg 1.8.0 back when it was first released. You might have a combination installed that causes these graphics issues.

See more here:

260.19.06 (beta) for Linux x86/x86_64 released - nV News Forums

Here's another link with more users experiencing similar issues:

nvidia 256.52 xorg-server 1.9.0 performance regression - nV News Forums
    Last edited by oz; 10-02-2010 at 03:59 PM.
    oz