Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey guys, this is my first post on your site. I've been coming here for years just browsing but now I actually need a full proof response. My dad passed ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Clonezilla - cloning a drive to a partition

Hey guys, this is my first post on your site. I've been coming here for years just browsing but now I actually need a full proof response.

My dad passed away 2 years ago and he had a toshibia laptop, and today I've decided to start using it. I would like to reformat it to Arch Linux from Windows XP.

He has a 80gb hdd with everything on one partition (thats how windows does it).
    I would like to create another partition (~20gb, and I know how to do this) and have clonezilla clone the main partition and save it to the 20gb partition. This is because you can't clone and save to the same drive unless its partitioned. (I'm saying partition lot).

Anyway my fathers computer is very important to me, and having it remain intact as he left it is very very important to me. I know the easiest and most sarcastic response is to tell me not to use it, but I want to use this computer.

Does anyone have experience with clonezilla? Will it back up the ENTIRE HDD like it says it will, without missing any important documents and files scattered throughout the disc? And when I do finish the cloning, format, and at a later date restore using the image I copied, will it be like I never touched it?

Thanks guys, I appreciate your time.

//editd

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by seduced View Post
    Does anyone have experience with clonezilla? Will it back up the ENTIRE HDD like it says it will, without missing any important documents and files scattered throughout the disc? And when I do finish the cloning, format, and at a later date restore using the image I copied, will it be like I never touched it?
    Welcome to the forums!

If you use Clonezilla to create a system image that includes the contents of the entire drive, Clonezilla will restore the complete system image to the same drive or to a different drive, but the drive that the restored image will be going onto has to be at least as big as the original drive. If you aren't sure about using Clonezilla, you might want to create and restore some test images on a different drive so that you can get a feel for it before you use it on anything that is really important to you.
    oz