I installed Ubuntu on a VM, then installed OpenSSH, opened the port on the firewall and had it all working. Then I went to lunch....

Come back and it won't connect... rather, it will but only from within it's own network, not externally.... During this time my VM host went to sleep mode... Thinking that messed it up I rebooted both the host and guest.

When I try to do it externally from Putty or SecureCRT, I get nothing in the auth.log. It also behaves the same if I connect to the external address from within the same network (although that could be a router issue).

If I just do "ssh sspeed at servername" in the command line externally, I get an entry in the auth.log that says "Did not receive identification string from x.x.x.x"

I can telnet externally to port 22 and get: "SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_5.5p1 Debian-4ubuntu4" so I know it's there....

Thinking it might be a firewall issue, I loaded up OpenSSH on Windows and reconfigured the router, it connected right up. So it doesn't appear to be a firewall issue....

I removed both hosts.allow and hosts.deny and tested, same as before, I can connect from within the same subnet, but not externally.

I'm totally lost here... why does it not populate the auth.log at all when I use Putty remotely, but it does if I attempt to connect via command line? Why can't I connect anymore?