Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, actually i deal with lots of MS Office 07 powerpoints. The thing is that, i can open them in openoffice, but the content in the slides is all messed ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Open .pptx files in linux.

Hi,

actually i deal with lots of MS Office 07 powerpoints.
    The thing is that, i can open them in openoffice, but the content in the slides is all messed up, sometimes going outside the slide (so i cant use slideshow), and sometimes the content is completely unintelligible.

So how can i properly see MS Office 07's powerpoints properly in linux (or specifically linux ubuntu).

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by sgvaibhav View Post
    So how can i properly see MS Office 07's powerpoints properly in linux (or specifically linux ubuntu).

You could try running Powerpoint under Wine to see if that might work well enough for you:

WineHQ - Powerpoint

WineHQ - Run Windows applications on Linux, BSD, Solaris and Mac OS X
    oz

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Which version of OOo are you running? Newer versions, especially the version supported by go-oo.org (3.2.1), handle MS Office formats better. That said, there is a caveate in that Office 2007 may not render perfectly in any version of OOo due to some of the "black-box" parts of their implementation of the OpenXML standard. Another issue is with regard to embedded objects in your PowerPoint slides. Anything requiring an ActiveX control won't work. Also, you may need to make sure that all the Windows fonts used in your slides are also installed on your Linux system and available to OOo.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    ubuntu 9.10...
    im not able to install office 07 using wine.

any other alternative?

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    By Office 07 do you mean Office 2007, or Office 2010 that came out with Windows 7? According to the WineHQ AppDB, Office 2007 installer, and most of the Office components are "Gold" or "Silver" rated, meaning that they run well with current versions of Wine (1.3.5 or later). The current version of Wine is 1.3.7. If you are running a version of Wine before 1.3.5 then you will likely have this problem. For example, on RHEL/CentOS 5 the version of Wine that is available is 1.0.1, which doesn't play nice with current versions of MS Office.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!