Find the answer to your Linux question:
I want an application that will scroll through the process that the CPU is currently occupied with. FileMon for MS is about what I want and Promon for MS is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Linux System Monitors; Any Suggestions?

I want an application that will scroll through the process that the CPU is currently occupied with. FileMon for MS is about what I want and Promon for MS is almost identical. I am thinking of using Procmon for Linux but it is a kernel Module and the instuctions on how to use it are vague. Does anyone know of how I can get the funtionallity of what I want or have experience with Procmon on Linux?

Thanks in advance.

does htop not show you the information you need?

I would like something that helps learing.

Filemon or Procmon for Windows will scroll through the tasks that the CPU is currently working on. It would be easier to learn from source code if I could view this. I could veiw system calls and daemons and so on. I don't think people that solve everthing with a bash command get it. I can't figure our GKrellm at all. It's so God damn useless why would anyone created it? The same goes for a spell checker that works on any application. Windows has a ton of them and Linux has none. WTF!

Thanks for the Reply!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    gkrellm wouldn't exist in open source community if someone didn't find it useful, just because its not useful to you doesn't mean it is useless

htop command shows all processes that are currently running, it also shows CPU time occupied by those processes as well

I looked at procmon and the output looked very similar to htop output at a quick glance

I'm not all that savvy with Htop.

I don't know about the connection of Opensource and usefulness with gkrellm. The application window is the size of a postage stamp. Filemon does exactly what I want out of the box and I can't figure out how to configure htop to scroll through CPU tasks. I will have to manage with it , it would seem.

Thanks for your input!

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Quote Originally Posted by theKbStockpiler
    I can't figure out how to configure htop to scroll through CPU tasks. I will have to manage with it , it would seem.

Thanks for your input!
    Um... the up and down arrow keys?
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

htop is console application, it is designed to run on a machine even with no display, so all input is taken via keyboard

as elija said, use the arrow keys

I don't know what desktop environment you're using, but have you looked at gnome-system-monitor? That seems to do pretty much what you want.