Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
I have an older version (v1.1) that has no Makefile. In the INSTALL text file is says simply go into the src directory and compile it with this command: Code: ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.

I have an older version (v1.1) that has no Makefile. In the INSTALL text file is says simply go into the src directory and compile it with this command:
    Code:
    gcc -o dvdbackup  -I/my/prefix/to/libdvdread/include \
    -L/my/prefix/to/libdvdread/lib -ldvdread dvdbackup.c
    Note you need to have libdvdread installed and available to compile/link the executable. I hope this helps.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Ok. Looking at the instructions on sourceforge.net, it seems that they now have a configure script, so first, untar the package, cd into the dvdbackup directory, and run the command: ./configure
    That should create the appropriate Makefile(s) so you can build and install it. I'm checking all that out now, so I'll let you know if I find anything "wonky", or not, as soon as I have verified I can build it.

Ok. I untarred the package, cd'd into the dvdbackup-0.4.1 directory, ran ./configure, then make, and finally "sudo make install". It installed (default) into /usr/local/bin. You should be able to specify the prefix to the configure script if you want it to go into /usr/bin instead. Enjoy!

BTW, I'll be testing it out quite thoroughly on my commercial DVD's tomorrow. I have a double box set of Charlie Chaplin movies I need to make archival copies of.

Geee...Thanks guys for your efforts. I have to go out of the house for a meeting and will try this when I arrive.

Have a good nights rest.
    nujinini
    Linux User #489667

I encountered some difficulties doing it in terminal and so I went to synaptic and was able to get dvdbackup.

Inserted dvd on the cdrom

Executed $ dvdbackup -M

And this is what I got:

Code:
    jun@jun-laptop ~ $ ls '/home/jun/Desktop/U2_CHICAGO_LIVE/VIDEO_TS' 
    VIDEO_TS.BUP  VTS_01_0.IFO  VTS_01_3.VOB  VTS_01_7.VOB  VTS_02_0.VOB
    VIDEO_TS.IFO  VTS_01_0.VOB  VTS_01_4.VOB  VTS_01_8.VOB  VTS_02_1.VOB
    VIDEO_TS.VOB  VTS_01_1.VOB  VTS_01_5.VOB  VTS_02_0.BUP
    VTS_01_0.BUP  VTS_01_2.VOB  VTS_01_6.VOB  VTS_02_0.IFO
    jun@jun-laptop ~ $
    May I please know how I would be able to copy this on a DVD so I can use that duplicate instead of my orginal?

Thanks!
    nujinini
    Linux User #489667

Nujinini, you are more that half-way there! Congrats - the rest is easy! What dvdbackup does/did is strip the CSS encryption from the DVD and put the file structure found on the disc into the VIDEO_TS and other sub-directories where you told it to - /home/jun/Desktop/U2_CHICAGO_LIVE. Everything on the disc should be there. Now, you can play it with most any Linux media player - just point it to the U2_CHICAGO_LIVE directory. You can also use a GUI DVD burner tool like K3b to create either an ISO image, or burn it to disc directly if you want a physical copy that you can play in your regular DVD player.

You can also use a GUI DVD burner tool like K3b to create either an ISO image, or burn it to disc directly if you want a physical copy that you can play in your regular DVD player.
    I have been using dvdrip quite a while now to copy and play my movies from my HD and have not encountered any issues until I tried it with Ironman 2 wherein all those libraries showed up.

I also noticed that if I would continue doing this, my HD will be full in no time at all. So perhaps I will be using this option of burning copies instead and use em until scratches do us part.

Keep originals in collection box. Who knows one day these dvds can go up for trade just like baseball cards

Thank you!
    nujinini
    Linux User #489667

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2