Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello friends!! I have installed a program from source code many times. When I wanted to uninstall, I type "make uninstall" on the directory source, and it uninstalled the program. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

uninstall programs from source

Hello friends!! I have installed a program from source code many times. When I wanted to uninstall, I type "make uninstall" on the directory source, and it uninstalled the program. But today, I have installed a program which i want uninstall. I type "make uninstall" and i get this:

Code:
    make: *** No rule to make target `uninstall '.
    How can I uninstall the program?? thanks!!

Usually, not always but usually, the README and INSTALL files will tell you how to do this. Is there anything like that in your directory?
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Linux Newbie
    Yes MikeTbob, I have already seen these files. In the INSTALL file, they say how to install, but not how to uninstall.

Lacking an uninstall script or other instructions, there is no easy way to uninstall something built from source. You pretty much just have to track down all the files and manual remove them. One of the reasons package managers came about.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    If there is no "remove" or "uninstall" target in the Makefile, or uninstall script, then you will need to find all the files that were copied to the system directories in the "install" target, and remove them. Usually, you can just leave them in-place and just remove the executables. That way, if anything else is dependent on the libraries that it installed you won't have a problem from them being missing.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!