Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey everyone, I recently downloaded my first Linux OS -- Slax I tried installing a few programs such as WICD, AMSN and XCHAT all of which I had to get ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installing Tarball files

Hey everyone, I recently downloaded my first Linux OS -- Slax

I tried installing a few programs such as WICD, AMSN and XCHAT all of which I had to get the tarball files and I'm having trouble unpacking and installing them.

I can never get past the first step of unpacking the tarballs, when I tried WICD and AMSN I ran the unpacking command listed in the 'how to' install all that happened was when I ran the command, the command screen would go away and nothing would happen. The file did not unpack.

The most recent program XCHAT that I tried to install I had a little more luck, when I ran the command:

root@slax:~# tar -xjvf xchat-x.x.x.tar.bz2

it gave me the error message:

tar: xchat-x.x.x.tar.bz2: Cannot open: No such file or directory
    tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
    tar: Child returned status 2
    tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors

Anyone have any idea why it's not working?

Thanks,
    Batman001
    Last edited by Batman001; 11-21-2010 at 03:05 AM.

tar: xchat-x.x.x.tar.bz2: Cannot open: No such file or directory
    Since the error says that "No such file or directory" , maybe you can try it gain by typing the whole path.

Or by opening your Downloads folder, opening a terminal and execute $ tar -xjvf and drag the whole downloaded file to it? I mean if you haven't tried it yet

Am not familiar with slackware but can you try this in the terminal and post the output if any?

Code:
    $ ls /home/yourusername
    Code:
    # fdisk -l
    Code:
    # df -h
    nujinini
    Linux User #489667

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by nujinini View Post
    Since the error says that "No such file or directory" , maybe you can try it gain by typing the whole path.

Or by opening your Downloads folder, opening a terminal and execute $ tar -xjvf and drag the whole downloaded file to it? I mean if you haven't tried it yet

Am not familiar with slackware but can you try this in the terminal and post the output if any?

Code:
    $ ls /home/yourusername
    Code:
    # fdisk -l
    Code:
    # df -h
    Awesome, thanks. Whenever I dropped the file in to the terminal it unpacked correctly. However now I'm having trouble creating the directory, after unpacking the tar it tells me to run
    cd xchat-x.x.x

when I do it says

-bash: cd: xchat-x.x.x: No such file or directory

-

When I run the yourusername command it tells me no command exists, if I do 'whoami' it tells me I'm 'root'

***fdisk -l***

Disk /dev/sda: 500.1 GB, 500107862016 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 60801 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x63f948b0

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sda1 1 1132 9083904 27 Unknown
    /dev/sda2 * 1132 1144 102400 7 HPFS/NTFS
    /dev/sda3 1144 60802 479198232 7 HPFS/NTFS

Disk /dev/sdb: 8195 MB, 8195480064 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 996 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x00000000

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sdb1 * 1 997 8001536 b W95 FAT32
    Partition 1 has different physical/logical endings:
    phys=(995, 254, 63) logical=(996, 69, 33)

***df -h***

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    aufs 7.7G 353M 7.3G 5% /
    tmpfs 1.6G 0 1.6G 0% /dev/shm
    /dev/sda1 8.7G 7.9G 845M 91% /mnt/sda1
    /dev/sda2 100M 25M 76M 25% /mnt/sda2
    /dev/sda3 457G 48G 410G 11% /mnt/sda3
    /dev/sdb1 7.7G 353M 7.3G 5% /mnt/sdb1
    Last edited by Batman001; 11-21-2010 at 03:52 AM.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by Batman001 View Post
    However now I'm having trouble creating the directory, after unpacking the tar it tells me to run

cd xchat-x.x.x

when I do it says

-bash: cd: xchat-x.x.x: No such file or directory
    Your welcome!

Anyways, again we have a similar error report as earlier. "No such file or directory"

If i'm not mistaken, you also have to

Code:
    cd /absolute/path/chat-xxx
    Can you please execute not as root but regular user:

Code:
    $ ls /home/username
    And post output here.
    nujinini
    Linux User #489667

So Slax is a little different that most distros. I don't have much experience with it, but the preferred way to add software is to download one of the many available modules, and place that in the /slax/modules directory.

Wicd and xchat are both available as modules.

Slax: documentation use modules

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by nujinini View Post
    Your welcome!

Anyways, again we have a similar error report as earlier. "No such file or directory"

If i'm not mistaken, you also have to

Code:
    cd /absolute/path/chat-xxx
    Can you please execute not as root but regular user:

Code:
    $ ls /home/username
    And post output here.
    Will be done, working on finding out to create to login to create a new user and then I will be able to post up results.
    Thanks for the help again

Quote Originally Posted by reed9 View Post
    So Slax is a little different that most distros. I don't have much experience with it, but the preferred way to add software is to download one of the many available modules, and place that in the /slax/modules directory.

(Batman001 edited)
    both available as modules.

(edit)use modules
    Yeah, this is how I got WICD running at least somewhat so I can post here .

Problem with Slax's modules is that they are often out of date (can't update until someone updates it on slax website, which is rare) and are somewhat limited + buggy, it takes me forever to get things like wicd to run. I can't even get to the wicd configure screen, no idea how it's working honestly.
    Can't update amsn without installing tarball, etc..

Tarballing is a better option in my opinion against the modules slax gives out.
    Though I had no idea they had one for XCHAT.

Appreciate the help nujinin & reed

also sorry I had to edit your posts, can't have links in my posts without 15 posts

If wicd isn't working properly, it's probably a missing dependency or configuration problem. I assume you also installed the python dependency noted at the bottom of the module page?

aMSN is also available (albeit unverified) at very nearly the newest version. 0.98.2 vs. 0.98.3. It doesn't seem to me they are particularly out of date?

Anyway, the tarballs are just archives, like zip or rar, which are usually used to distribute a programs source code. You would need to install the necessary development packages and build tools to compile the source code. There is another unverified module with all the basics available.

However, a better method would probably be to convert a Slackware package to a Slax module for anything not already available or trusted.

You will continue to have to manually hunt down dependencies for your packages, as that is just how Slackware and apparently Slax operates.

If you want to always run on the bleeding edge, you might consider using a rolling release distro like Arch or Aptosid. Otherwise, it's normal for distros to have out of date packages, since most do not make major upgrades to their software ecosystem in any given release.

Just Joined!
    Yeah I installed all the dependencies listed for wicd, must have missed the latest version of amsn when I was adding it, thanks for the link.
    Will look into converting packages from slackware to slax, surprised I've never thought of doing that lol. -And will also look more into Arch and Aptosid, looked at them briefly and they look like good distros.

Thanks for the help again, this is going to help me a ton