Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I think I have posted this in the correct section. I have a problem we have been given a network to look after with some linux servers on it, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

tftp issues

Hi,

I think I have posted this in the correct section.

I have a problem we have been given a network to look after with some linux servers on it, unfortunately I have very little experience on how these work.

I have set a tftp server up on a windows server and have been trying tosend files from the linux network. The file is showing but has 0kb and I get timeout errors.

i have checked yast firewall settings to make sure TFTP is allowed on port 69, I have tried disabling fiewall alltogether which seems to make this work.

I also have read articles on how to check that the tftp file is correctly configured, which to me it looks like its fine.

I would really appreciate any help on this at all. I have been trying for 3 days and im no further forward.

Many thanks for any help.

Linux Enthusiast
    Hi there,

Since taking the firewall offline causes everything to spring to life, I think your problem is there. TFTP doesn't just use port 69. Port 69 is used to initiate a write request (which probably creates your zero length file) but then the server contacts the client on a random port and the actual data transfer is done on that port.

If you can, I suggest limiting the ports the TFTP server uses and opening them on the client's firewall.

Let us know how you get on.
    To be good, you must first be bad. "Newbie" is a rank, not a slight.

Just Joined!
    Sorry, I meant to say disabling the firewall makes it worse. Once disabled I cant even see the file trying to be transmitted to the tftp.

I have port 69 open on my firewall where I am trying to send the file.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Enthusiast
    Can you do anything else while the firewall is disabled? I have see some firewall setups where disabled means "stop everything" and there is a separate "permit everything" option.

Also, did you try configuring the firewalls and TFTP as I suggested above?

Let us know how you get on
    To be good, you must first be bad. "Newbie" is a rank, not a slight.