Find the answer to your Linux question:
Pypanel is a great lightweight panel for window manager users, but I'm seeing a problem for which I've been unable to find a fix, or patch. Unfortunately pypanel has been ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    oz
    forum.guy

new window focus bug in pypanel

Pypanel is a great lightweight panel for window manager users, but I'm seeing a problem for which I've been unable to find a fix, or patch. Unfortunately pypanel has been inactive with no further development for a number of years so it's not likely to see any new releases with a fix any time soon.

The problem is that when a new window is opened in most window managers, the new window gains focus by default, and it shows at the top of the window list. However, pypanel does not show the new window focused within the panel unless you click on the task button in the panel, or you click somewhere on the newly opened window. All the other panels that I've tried focus new windows immediately after they open by default, just like most windows managers do.

I've run across others having the same issue, but no fixes or patches found after many hours of searching. Would any of you happen to know of a fix, a patch, or a work around other than using a different panel application?

Many thanks to anyone that can!
    oz

I'm puzzled by this post. I have pypanel 2.4 running in Crux and it behaves normally. When I open a window it has focus, whether I open it from barbarella, from the pypanel dock, from the desktop menu or from a terminal. I just tested it out.

OOps! I see it now. The window has focus but the panel doesn't show it in the correct colour for an active window.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by hazel View Post
    OOps! I see it now. The window has focus but the panel doesn't show it in the correct colour for an active window.
    Hi, hazel

That's it exactly, and I would very much like to see the correct color for the focused window without having to click on newly opened windows or the task button first. I've spent many hours searching for solutions and playing with the pypanelrc file, but no solution found. None of the other panels that I've tried have this issue, but I really want pypanel if there is a fix for this.

Thanks for the reply.
    oz

oz
    forum.guy
    Still playing with this, I notice that if no windows are open on the desktop and you open one, it shows the proper focus text color on the task button, but if you then open another window, that task button on the panel does not pick up the proper focus text color even though the new window is the one focused on the desktop itself.

It's been over 5 years since any development has occurred with pypanel so it would be really nice if someone that is capable would take it over, or perhaps fork it and then keep on going with it. It's far too good an application to discontinue any further development, at least in my opinion.

Edit: I'm not even going to bother to bump this thread but instead will simply edit this post because I'm thinking this is very likely a bug with no fix seeing as how all development stopped on the project some time ago.

That said, I'll let the thread die from this point forward unless someone is able to offer up any helpful ideas.

Thanks to everyone that took the time to check out the issue.
    Last edited by oz; 11-30-2010 at 12:16 AM.
    oz