Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am learning Java programming, and I apparently need this package. I downloaded it for Linux, x86 archetechture, and GTK window something, how do I install this .bin file? -justin...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

JDK

I am learning Java programming, and I apparently need this package. I downloaded it for Linux, x86 archetechture, and GTK window something, how do I install this .bin file?

-justin

Just Joined!
    oh yeah, I followed the instructions on java's website, but it always says "Permission Denied" when I am logged in as root.

-justin

you need to chmod +x the j2sdk bin file, then you can use ./j2sk.......bin to install it

Just Joined!
    yep, that did it. Thanks man!

my n00bish is starting to rear it's ugly head

-justin

Just Joined!
    Well, that worked, however how to I get firefox to recognize it? Also, it extracted the files to my desktop.. did it install it somewhere else, and I am free to delete that folder? Or did it install it on my desktop, and I get to live with it forever? If it did install it on my desktop, how can I change it so it installs it elsewhere?

-justin

this is how I install it at work, make a folder, something like /usr/java (mkdir /usr/java) and then copy the bin file to there. then install it from /usr/java using the ./jdk.....

doesn't really install anything, just unpacks it.

then edit /etc/profile
    #vi /etc/profile and make it look like this

Code:
    if [ -z "$INPUTRC" -a ! -f "$HOME/.inputrc" ]; then
        INPUTRC=/etc/inputrc
    fi

export JAVA_HOME=/usr/java/j2sdk1.4.2_04
    export JAVA_PATH=${JAVA_HOME}

export PATH=${JAVA_HOME}/bin:${PATH}
    export PATH USER LOGNAME MAIL HOSTNAME HISTSIZE INPUTRC
    and make sure the java directory matches your directory

then save that.

then #source /etc/profile
    or just close that terminal or log out. at a command prompt type java -version. if it worked then its now installed

Quote Originally Posted by opensourceguy
    Well, that worked, however how to I get firefox to recognize it? Also, it extracted the files to my desktop.. did it install it somewhere else, and I am free to delete that folder? Or did it install it on my desktop, and I get to live with it forever? If it did install it on my desktop, how can I change it so it installs it elsewhere?

-justin
    All you have to do is link the plugins to your firefox directory to the java files specified in .../bin of your jdk directory, like this:
    Code:
    ln -s /usr/java/j2sdk1.4.2_05/jre/plugin/i386/njavaplugin_oji.so /usr/lib/firefox/plugins
    I am using mozilla, so in my case, my /usr/lib/mozilla directory had to be changed. In your case, i think that works. Just find the plugins directory inside firefox's directory, and link it to where the njavaplugin_oji.so file is, inside the java directory.

Cheers.