Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, We have a bunch production web servers that several "Web masters" need to upload content to. The boxes run nginx that runs under an nginx user. The web folder ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How to set up SFTP

Hi,

We have a bunch production web servers that several "Web masters" need to upload content to. The boxes run nginx that runs under an nginx user.
    The web folder is /var/nginx/html/ and has 774 permissions and owned by nginx:nginx.
    Currently each potential uploader has a user that belongs to only one group, the nginx group. So each web master may write to the folders, where after he writes the file receives him as owner, nginx as group, but group and all users have only read permissions, which means that a different webmaster will not be able to modify these files.

1. When considering a vanilla CentOS install, who is handling the SFTP, is it SSHD or does it delegate the requests?
    2. Is there a way to retain separate user per webmaster and allow them to modify each other files? I've considered a procedure where upon upload the user would need to apply recursive permissions on the directory he just modified, but it takes only once for someone to forget it to make it a non-option.
    3. Regardless of the above, what is the best approach to do what I need. Maybe I'm at it in a completely wrong way... I need a specific directory where different webmaters have full access but will not have access to the rest of the machine. I read about chroot (which confused me how to set up exactly). Any other (easy) approach?

Thanks,
    DB

Just Joined!
    Am I not getting any answers because this is so silly simple that I should have found it on google or because it's so hard no one can answer?

Linux Guru
    what is the best approach to do what I need. Maybe I'm at it in a completely wrong way...
    Use an FTP server so that the file system, users, and permissions are not tied to the underlying OS.

Just Joined!
    yum install "what" ?

Thanks,
    DB