Find the answer to your Linux question:
If I log into 192.0.0.10:9999 I point to /home/abyssws/htdoc with entire site that works in windows, I stop and start server, I get Error 404 when I try to reach ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

All I get if Error 404 in Abyssws

If I log into 192.0.0.10:9999 I point to /home/abyssws/htdoc with entire site that works in windows, I stop and start server, I get Error 404 when I try to reach the index.html

I tried adding 10.10.10.1-255.255.255.1 to ip allow. I am running on port 80. Used autostart routine, asume is running sudo mode since linux shuts all ports down under 1024. Mint debian.

Worked instantly under windows.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Can you telnet into that IP / Port?
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!

Just Joined!
    Telnet? Not sure what you are getting at.

192.168.0.10 is me and webserver on internal ip. I get same 404 error code from abyss web server from this ip or external ip.

This tells me abyss is listening and serving on port 80, the port is open and not being interfered by the ufw because I set up a rule to allow. It probably is that it doesn't think there is any html to serve, despite being set to a valid directory with an index.html.

The problem is I cannot get any support.

Now I can get it to serve pages if I just extract and run abyss from /home directory, but following directions and putting the executable in /usr/share and running the autostart, is just broken 404 error.

(Now, it took a day of googling before I realized Ubuntu closed all ports below 1024; this means I cannot auto start it outside their directions. I am unsure at all how to get the default webserver to work. While in windows, I have set up 5 or 6 webservers in under 5 minutes that all worked beautifully. There is no point in the learning curve and running linux if you cannot get a webserver and other key aps running in short order.)

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Assuming I have understood and the server is on IP 192.168.0.10 then try opening a terminal and running the following command

telnet 192.168.0.10 80

This will connect you to the web server using a very old protocol, but if there are error messages, you should at least get to see them.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!

try https://192.168.0.10:9999 to get to the administrator console.

or https://127.0.0.1:9999

I used to run abyss web server, pretty good for web server.

The web server has to be executed as root to run on ports below 1024.

Abyssws is not friendly with ubuntu But I can say for sure that it will run on centos which is a redhat based distro.

Good luck!