Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Could anyone recommend a good video player that can play many types?? I just realized that i don't have one installed right now...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Good Video Player??

Could anyone recommend a good video player that can play many types?? I just realized that i don't have one installed right now

I <3 mplayer!!!
    A Lot of people like xine. If you are using KDE, i guess you could use kaffeine, cos it's got KDE integration

Linux Newbie
    ok, i'm trying to get mplayer, but im trying to get it with either apt or synaptic, neither of which i can get to install. How should i get and install mplayer??
    Registered Linux User Number 373366

Linux Enthusiast
    MPlayer is the best
    If you know how, I strongly reccomend installing MPlayer from source along with the other multimedia pakages. There's a lot of configure options you can set that can be pretty useful. Otherwise just use the MPlayer RPMs from their main site, mentioned in the above post.

Linux Newbie
    Ok, i am got everything i need for mplayer, but when I run the command:

./configure --enable-gui

like the directions say, it spits out the configuration and then I get the error:

Error: The GUI requires GTK devel packages (which were not found).

It seems to say im missing a package. Where can i get it/fix this problem??

Linux Newbie
    ok i actually fixed that one!!! I installed some more packages and i think it configured right this time..it might still have had an error, but i dont think so. it said

you can now use make and make install to...blah,blah,blah

i used make install, and it spit out a TON of gibberish it didn't stop for over half an hour, so i shut it down...the only error i was able to catch was something about a bad pointer...it was moving too fast. Can anyone help???

Linux Enthusiast
    The "gibberish" you're referring to is probably the normal compile process (if it's readable text), although it shouldn't be taking half an hour unless your processor is really slow.
    Don't worry if the error message says "warning" and the compiler keeps going, there's only a problem if it says "error" and quits on its own before it's done. About the GTK problem... That's because a default install doesn't install the header files needed for compiling many programs, so keep that in mind the next you have a problem where you know it's installed but ./configure says it can't find it. Good job fixing it yourself though.
    Anyways, I suggest you just retry it, and give it some time. It takes about 5-10 min for me on a 1.6Ghz Athlon XP processor. If it finishes without errors (warnings are ok), then type "make install" as root.
    Hope it works.

Linux Newbie
    ok, I'll try it again. btw im running a 1.6Ghz Pentium III

Linux Newbie
    OK I got mplayer installed!!!!! However, the ironic thing is that im haveing trouble finding a movie file to play! rotfl

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast