Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi, i have a quite simple (to describe) aim: when a new email arrives on my gmail account, i want to be labelled (=tagged), letting an external bash script read ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

automatic gmail labels creation ( mutt + fetchmail + procmail ?)

hi,
    i have a quite simple (to describe) aim: when a new email arrives on my gmail account, i want to be labelled (=tagged), letting an external bash script read the message and choose the right label.

i.e.:

to: me

dear matteo,
    congratulations! BILL_GATES has just bought one of your items!
    regards,
    mr. ebay

i can easily write a script to calculate the right label (BILL_GATES) but how can i create it (if not already existing) and apply it to the processed message?

it took me 2 minutes to find a guide on how to configure mutt to view my gmail account, but i can't go any further...
    mutt has a kind of patch or extension to manage labels (view, edit, apply, etc), but i can't figure out how i could make it an automatic procedure...

fetchmail + procmail seems to be the best solution, but (before spending a night with any effort) i'd like to know if anyone can give me a suggestion... please consider that i need the messages to be labelled on gmail web interface, not just on my local inbox...

many thanks,
    matteo

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Have you tried the gmail filters? They have the capability to do that inside their system, without you needed to do anything.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!