Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I have recently installed OpenOffice.org and I can't find any executable file that actually starts up OpenOffice. What is the equivalent to the old "soffice" executable which previously would start ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

OpenOffice.org where is the executable file?

I have recently installed OpenOffice.org and I can't find any executable file that actually starts up OpenOffice.

What is the equivalent to the old "soffice" executable which previously would start up OpenOffice?

I installed by executing the "setup" program after extracting the archive, I selected pretty much all of the items to be installed (at least the essential ones) and then let it install -- I didn't get to choose the path to install to, but I saw it stated that this would be installed under /opt.

I see two directories:

/opt/openoffice.org
    /opt/openoffice.org3

Neither of which contains any readily identifiable file that is the main program.

What file should I execute?

Try using command line.
    Code:
    whereis openoffice
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTbob View Post
    Try using command line.
    Code:
    whereis openoffice
    That will not work for the following reasons:

1: The executable file is called "soffice", not "openoffice"
    2: /opt/openoffice* is not in whereis' hard-coded path nor in the system environment PATH

should be like oowriter, oocalc, ooimpress, etc

they all start with oo

There's a shell script, /usr/bin/openoffice.org, that's called with an argument to specify the command line switch for soffice. The Writer launcher, for instance, calls it it with "-writer". That switch is actually an entry point for soffice, telling it which personality to adopt: Calc, Draw, Impress, Writer. The script execs soffice, which is why you can't find openoffice in the process table.

Just Joined!
    I can't speak for other distributions, but in my Kubuntu 10.04, the Open Office.org front-ends are in /usr/bin

Code:
    ~$ ls /usr/bin/oo*                                                  
    /usr/bin/oobase  /usr/bin/ooffice         /usr/bin/oomath    /usr/bin/ooxml2doc
    /usr/bin/oocalc  /usr/bin/oofromtemplate  /usr/bin/ooweb     /usr/bin/ooxml2odt
    /usr/bin/oodraw  /usr/bin/ooimpress       /usr/bin/oowriter
    These are all thin wrappers around a call to the main soffice executable. For example
    Code:
    ~$ more /usr/bin/oocalc 
    #!/bin/sh
    /usr/lib/openoffice/program/soffice -calc "$@"

Interesting that the packaging is that different for different current distros. I posted based on inspection of Fedora 12 and 14. But the bottom line is the same WRT calling soffice with an entry point. But in your distro, the wrapper script doesn't exec it, so it should remain in the process table until exit.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Actually, the main startup executable is /usr/bin/soffice, which is a link to /opt/openoffice.org/program/soffice. In /opt/openoffice.org/program directory you will find the individual executables sbase, scalc, sdraw, simpress, smath, swriter, et al. There may be some distributions that repackage OOo to use other names, but this is how it comes from openoffice.org, or if you are using LibreOffice, all this will be in the /opt/libreoffice/program directory.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Whew. As we drill down, this gets more convoluted all the time. Actually scalc, for example, is a shell script that calls scalc.bin, the real executable.

On Red Hat variants, the location is /usr/lib[64]/openoffice.org3/program.

Thanks all. I've learned something tonight.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by corge View Post
    2: /opt/openoffice* is not in whereis' hard-coded path nor in the system environment PATH

Try locate instead.
    Code:
     locate openoffice
    If that doesn't work, you may have to update the database, which you do, as root, with
    Code:
     updatedb
    It might have helped had you told us which distro you are enquiring about. They vary their aproaches, sometimes quite a bit.
    Last edited by kurtdriver; 01-15-2011 at 02:24 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast