Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I was just wondering if there was a SSH client to access a secure FTP site for linux. I know you can use the console to access the ftp, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

SFTP/SSH Client for Linux

Hello,

I was just wondering if there was a SSH client to access a secure FTP site for linux. I know you can use the console to access the ftp, but is there a graphical client anyone can recommend instead. There are a lot of files I need to transfer and the console method could take forever. I also need to be able to chmod files using the client. I normally use Windows to do this using a program called SSH Secure Shell (it lets me upload, download, and set permissions on files), but am looking for a linux alternative to achieve the same result.

Thanks

Just Joined!
    I'm trying to use this program called KBear right now that seems to connect to the FTP fine. Is there a way to tell it to upload files with:

Default File Permission Mask: 664
    Default Directory Permission: 775

There's also another application called gFTP, is this any better?

Thanks...

Default for Gnome is : gFTP as alternative for SecureFTP
    Alternative for Secure Telnet is : Putty

---[ MS09-99896 - Vulnerability in All MS Windows OS ; Using Windows Could Allow Remote Code Execution. ]---
    Hardware: Asus P4P800, 1GB, P4-3Ghz, Asus V9950, Maxtor ATA HD\'s, 3Com GBit lan, Audigy ZS Plat.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Well, I'm confused now

I need something like this: http://esd.element5.com/product.html...mmerce.ssh.com

That looks like this: http://www.ssh.com/support/documenta...ransfer-61.gif

That program used to be called SSH Secure Shell and was available for free use for universities. My university, however, only gives away the Windows version now. In the mean time, the company that used to make it, changed the name to SSH Tectia Client and decided to charge $133.00 for it. I don't have that kind of money. So I'm trying to find an alternative. KBear and gFTP look like they should get the job done, but is there a way to tell them to upload files/folders with the permissions I have above. They are required by the sftp site I connect to in order for the files and folders to work properly.

SSH Secure Shell lets you set the permissions as seen in this picture: http://www.clubs.psu.edu/info/images...gs_changed.gif

I hope thats not completely confusing...

---[ MS09-99896 - Vulnerability in All MS Windows OS ; Using Windows Could Allow Remote Code Execution. ]---
    Hardware: Asus P4P800, 1GB, P4-3Ghz, Asus V9950, Maxtor ATA HD\'s, 3Com GBit lan, Audigy ZS Plat.

Just Joined!
    That was a lot of FTP programs, thanks. I ended up staying with KBear though, because for some reason none of the other ones would connect to the server... they got through the whole authentication mess and then just stopped. KBear seems to work well enough even though I have to set permissions on each file and folder individually. I think I'll email whoever makes this application and ask them to add a feature to automatically set the default permission for files and folders.

Thanks for all your help,

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Audax321
    ...changed the name to SSH Tectia Client and decided to charge $133.00 for it. ...
    This client is still available for free:
    http://www.ssh.com/support/downloads...ommercial.html

It's called the non-commercial version - I used it all the time.

Just Joined!
    theaddict,

I tried to configure, make, make install the program but got a few errors. Before I continue to try to fix it, is the linux version of SSH Tectia Client (3.2.9.1) graphical or konsole based? I just want to make sure because I want to use a graphical method only because its faster.

Thanks,