Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi Guys, I am a junior linux engineer, I really do not how to install such software kit, as no script like "setup.sh" or docs like "Readme"! There is a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How to install such software kit?

Hi Guys, I am a junior linux engineer, I really do not how to install such software
    kit, as no script like "setup.sh" or docs like "Readme"!

There is a software install kit including a couple of directories as follows:
    * /bin
    * /flexlm
    * /jre
    * /lib

Especially, in "bin" folder, there are many file more than ten but without ".bin"
    suffix.

Q1: Are those bin files install files?
    Q2: Should I execute those bin files one by one? Any sequence requirement?

Why "jre" folder is there? Should I install it as well? What is the purpose?

Many thanks!

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    Hi and welcome to the forum.

It could be that your package is prebuilt and self contained. In that case, you do not install the package in the traditional sense. You just execute the commands in */bin to run the applications in the package.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by daark.child View Post
    Hi and welcome to the forum.

It could be that your package is prebuilt and self contained. In that case, you do not install the package in the traditional sense. You just execute the commands in */bin to run the applications in the package.

Many thanks!

However, it is actually a large scale tool, I assumed it should be installed prior to run rather than execute bin file.

Obviously, it requires "license" and that folder called "flexlm" addresses license management. Anyway, I confused so many bin files and how to install in place?

Anyone who can help?

I don't think you quite got what I was trying to say. Some packages come prebuilt and are shipped in a directory which contains a sub directory structure like the one you mentioned above. You do not need to install these type of packages. In order to run applications shipped with the package, you execute the commands in the bin subdirectory. Firefox and Thunderbird are good examples of such packages (the ones from mozilla.com).

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by daark.child View Post
    I don't think you quite got what I was trying to say. Some packages come prebuilt and are shipped in a directory which contains a sub directory structure like the one you mentioned above. You do not need to install these type of packages. In order to run applications shipped with the package, you execute the commands in the bin subdirectory. Firefox and Thunderbird are good examples of such packages (the ones from mozilla.com).
    Got it with many thanks!

May I ask one stupid question: what is the main motivation software vendor releases such "prebuilt" kit? Any advantage against .rpm or .bin?

I think, maybe software installed can give an official impression to an user.

One of the reasons why you would do that is to save the user time and effort. For example compiling some packages could take hours if not days, so its better ofr a vendor or developer to do it for their user and include all necessary libraries and dependencies. I think this is how most MAC OS packages are shipped.