Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am studying how to use Linux now on some websites and playing with an older desktop. I am anxious to give it a try! I am looking for an ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux version of msexchange that also works with sms

I am studying how to use Linux now on some websites and playing with an older desktop. I am anxious to give it a try!

I am looking for an Linux program to help me with the following situation:

I send emails from my office computer, my dormitory computer, my home computer, my android phone and my symbian phone. Right now I use webmail but i want to be able to compose the emails in an offline mode and then send them at a later time. Now, I use thunderbird on my home computer to download all of the emails from my webmail account.

I want to be able to compose the email on the email clients installed on the various computing devices yet be able to consolidate not only the emails received but also the sent folders. I think what I am looking for is a Linux version of MSExchange. Is this correct? Can someone recommend one? I also want to be able to consolidate calendaring features and addressbooks as well.

Finally, it would be really helpful if I could download my sms (text messages) from my phones into the same program that manages the emails.

Help!

Evolution handles Exchange, depending on the version on the server. You can also use imap to keep your mail in sync if the server supports it. That's what I use for gmail. I think Thunderbird supports imap.

I don't deal with sms, so you may need to use Google for that. Keeping addressbooks and calendars in sync can be a problem, but if you use something like Google Calendar Evolution will sync all your ical/caldav/webdav calendars. There is also Sunbird, and Lightning for Thunderbird for doing this. You can use something like Dropbox for syncing almost anything, by keeping your data files in the Dropbox folder, or by making symlinks in the dropbox folder to your data files elsewhere.

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    Have a look at Zimbra.

That looks like serious overkill. Most desktop users don't need to run an Exchange server, just a client. From what I saw, Zimbra looks like an enterprise server designed for businesses, and it's not free, probably not cheap. I didn't go so far as to find out the price.

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    Zimbra is indeed and enterprise mail server (which is what Exchange is). They have a free (the community version) and paid for version. They also have a desktop client that supports, pop, imap and webmail services like gmail, yahoo etc. Mail can be composed offline and then sent later.