Find the answer to your Linux question:
How can I access SharedFolder on vmware player? Host OS: windows Xp sp2 Guest OS: Redhat enterprise linux 5.4 some piece of information from my vmx file. (vmotion.checkpointFBSize = "134217728" ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How can I access SharedFolder on vmware player

How can I access SharedFolder on vmware player?
    Host OS: windows Xp sp2
    Guest OS: Redhat enterprise linux 5.4
    some piece of information from my vmx file.
    (vmotion.checkpointFBSize = "134217728"
    sharedFolder0.present = "TRUE"
    sharedFolder0.enabled = "TRUE"
    sharedFolder0.readAccess = "TRUE"
    sharedFolder0.writeAccess = "TRUE"
    sharedFolder0.hostPath = "H:\RedHat\SharedForlder"
    sharedFolder0.guestName = "SharedForlder"
    sharedFolder0.expiration = "never"
    sharedFolder.maxNum = "1")
    I'm newbie to linux.
    thanks
    Last edited by a_tek7; 02-12-2011 at 11:16 AM. Reason: adding some piece of information

Just Joined!
    no reply?

Just Joined!
    Hi a_tek7

First you need to go to the VMWare options by going to Setting --> opitions --> Shared --> Add to add the folder that you need to share with the vm (you should already had this folder shared in windows, by right click on the floder and set the sharing options)

now, you need to know the IP address for your windows machine, the easy way is to open the cmd and type ipconfig, it will list a lot of information, just take the IP address.

Now regarding Linux, I use debian I am not that familiar with the redhat, but I think both of them use the mount command.. in debian you can creat a floder under the root/mnt directory (mkdir directory_name) and then use the mount command to mount the shared folder (mount -t smbf -o username=whatever password=whatever /shared_folder_path_in_windows /Destination_in_linux(which will be the same directory you created earlier)
    then you can enter it by just navigating to the directory you created.

you can look up more info about mount by using man mount it will show you everything that you need about this command.

I hope this helps a bit

Cheers and good luck..