Find the answer to your Linux question:
is there any easy to install video players that will play wmv?? i have alot of movies that are wmv....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

any video player.......

is there any easy to install video players that will play wmv?? i have alot of movies that are wmv.

Awesome video player:

http://xinehq.de/

And you can find the codecs here:

http://www.mplayerhq.hu/homepage/design7/dload.html

Check out the "other binary codecs" link. You can also use mplayer as a video player vs. xine.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Linux Engineer
    you will not be able to play any .wmv movie on linux if it has been encrypted with microsofts secret DRM technology. unencrypted wmv movies will work fine

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Enthusiast
    I strongly reccomend MPlayer over Xine for speed, flexability, and sheer number of features, although it's a poor DVD player unfortunely.
    As stated above, make sure you download all the binary codecs from mplayers website.

What's this about "Secret DRM encryption"? I've never heard of it.
    Emotions are the key to the soul.
    Registered Linux User #375050

Just Joined!
    I disagree -- the only advantage I have seen to using Mplayer over Xine is that when using their plugins for web media, mplayer loads about a second faster.

Big deal - mplayer doesn't give you DVD menus, Xine does. Ogle does as well, reportedly, but I have never been able to see it work on my box.

Xine supports more codecs and has more front ends...and how cool is it taking a screenshot during a movie -- the xine front-end Kaffeine will do that.

I also had more problems with the mplayerplug-in.

good luck

Linux Enthusiast
    Xine doesn't support more codecs... MPlayer and Xine both support the same codecs. Yes, I know it doesn't have DVD menus, but it can run without X (even for video, use vesa/vidix), and the subtitle rendering is superior. And MPlayer is excellent for scripting, piping, or encoding.
    My Opinion:
    Basically, in my experience, MPlayer "just works" and has a large number of configuration options, while Xine takes some coaxing to work, and configuring it means searching through a lot of GUI options that can be confusing.

I guess it's just personal preference and purpose that you use it for though.

For screenshots, just use opengl output and hit PrintScreen.
    Emotions are the key to the soul.
    Registered Linux User #375050