Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, i need to used following file on a server h t t p s ://flix.on2.com/download/flix-engine-installer-linux-8.0.17.2.tar.gz.md5?sid=&ref=on2 (please remove spaces) extension of the downloaded file is "tar.gz.md5", I am nor ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How to use file like "tar.gz.md5"

Hi all,

i need to used following file on a server

h t t p s ://flix.on2.com/download/flix-engine-installer-linux-8.0.17.2.tar.gz.md5?sid=&ref=on2 (please remove spaces)

extension of the downloaded file is "tar.gz.md5", I am nor sure what is exactly the significance of this file and how to use it.

I am newbie to linux so sorry if this is annoying question.

Regards
    Prashant

The flix-engine-installer-linux-8.0.17.2.tar.gz.md5 file contains the md5 checksum of the flix-engine-installer-linux-8.0.17.2.tar.gz file.

With it you can verify that the download was correct.
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.

Just Joined!
    Irithori is correct, but to translate that into English for you from geek. What he said is you don't do anything with the MD5 file. It's only there so you can check it to make sure you got the right file and that nobody tampered with it.

The file you actually want is the tgz file. In this case flix.on2.com/download/flix-engine-installer-linux-8.0.17.2.tar.gz

Download that file then

tar -xzvf flix-engine-installer-linux-8.0.17.2.tar.gz

You will either have a binary file called somethiing like flix-engine-installer-linux-8.0.17.2.bin or .run .deb or .rpm or you will have a dir named flix-engine-installer-linux-8.0.17.2

If you have a binary file check the readme file if any or online documentation for any special instructions. Most of the time you just type

./flix-engine-installer-linux-8.0.17.2
    and follow the prompts from there.

If the file does not run try this.
    chmod u+x flix-engine-installer-linux-8.0.17.2
    Hit the tab key after flix and it should auto complete most of it for you saving the typing and or just paste this in and hit the tab key so it auto completes any extension which might be on it such as .bin or .run or it might even be .exe. I have seen Linux install binaries with a .exe extension before.

If the file is a .deb or .rpm then you will need to use rpm or apt to install the file.

You MUST use the dot and the slash in front. By default the current dir is not in your path.

If the tarball created a dir, cd into the dir. There you will again have either a binary file or a makefile usually. If you do not have a binary to execute here are some pretty good instructions on how to compile the normal tarball.

Compiling and installing software from source in Linux

%98 of tarballs the instructions above will work. Most of the others there will be a readme file in the dir with good instructions and or install instructions on the website.

Quote Originally Posted by prashantc View Post
    Hi all,

i need to used following file on a server

h t t p s ://flix.on2.com/download/flix-engine-installer-linux-8.0.17.2.tar.gz.md5?sid=&ref=on2 (please remove spaces)

extension of the downloaded file is "tar.gz.md5", I am nor sure what is exactly the significance of this file and how to use it.

I am newbie to linux so sorry if this is annoying question.

Regards
    Prashant