Find the answer to your Linux question:
Can anyone recommend a good contacts app, for Debian if possible? The contacts package I have installed decided to crash, and won't open its database, and immediately crashes with a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Contacts recommendations

Can anyone recommend a good contacts app, for Debian if possible? The contacts package I have installed decided to crash, and won't open its database, and immediately crashes with a segmentation fault whenever it tries to import contacts. I have Evolution, but it's more than I really need. I use webmail, and iceowl works well for a calendar. I just can't seem to find a standalone contacts app.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    I use Google Apps. All my contacts, calendar, and other stuff are kept sync'd with my Android phone and vice-versa. So, all I need is a browser to view/manage my contacts, calendar, etc. FWIW, I download backups of the data from time to time just in case the big G has a problem and misplaces my data...
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

I don't have an Android phone, and don't plan to buy one in the near future. I use GMail, but my Google contacts are a mess, they put in everyone I've ever emailed or received email from. It's just not workable for me. I have my real contacts in Evolution, but it only exports vcard format, so it's not perfect. I also have them in J-Pilot, mostly, and can export .csv from there if need be, but I just can't find a suitable desktop contacts program. Mobile format doesn't cut it for me, at least not yet.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    I used to use my Palm Pilot for contact information, but when I updated to a smart phone (Google Nexus One) last year I exported all my contacts and merged them into gmail. I haven't regretted it at all. GMail is smart enough to segregate the random mailers from your regular contacts. You might want to play with their tools a bit more to get more comfortable with them. I also export them in vcard format from gmail to install with the kde kontact tool, but the synchronization isn't automatic. Unfortunately, there isn't a panacea for this as yet...
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

I won't install the kde libraries just for contacts. I use Gnome. I spent a couple of hours fixing my Google contacts, and only scratched the surface. I had imported my personal contacts there, but they didn't import well, all the info went to a note, not to where it should have gone. I'm beginning to think there isn't a worthwhile contacts app anywhere since Palm went more or less tits up. Palm was almost perfect, but it's getting very old, and I've pretty much quit using mine. I have a Nokia N800, but don't use it that much any more. What I use is my Asus netbook, and I need a decent contacts app for that. I'm still searching.