Find the answer to your Linux question:
Okay, I agree that I am a newbie and so I got almost frustrated and write a post on this in this forum. I had some .deb files and I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Question Cant install alien

Okay, I agree that I am a newbie and so I got almost frustrated and write a post on this in this forum. I had some .deb files and I needed them to install them on my computer. Someone suggested to install alien that converts .deb to .rpm files automatically. So i did a search on yum for that but that seemed to be not to be present in my repositories. I googled, found the file, tried to installed it. The package installer told that I need perl-base to install it (I dont know why the hell the package installer resolve the dependencies by itself). searched perl-base, and when I tried installing it, I came to another 3 uninstalled packages. The dependencies seemed on increasing and increasing and I admitted that linux is still not good for installing programs, or better still not good for newbies like me. I was searching for the first package but it didnt download from rpm.pbone.net because of server errors ever time I tried, leaving me frustrated to write a post here. Anyway, what I want is that can anyone here tell me the repository in which alien is present, so that I dont have to google it and install it (and ofcourse the dependencies) in one yum command. I need it badly, and if possible, please provide the link to download the repo so that I can be spared from googling again. Thanks to all in advance. BTW I am on Fedora 14

By it's own author's admission, Alien is experimental software. My digging around suggested that the best way forward is to install from source, that means you'll need the source tarball and some build tools (if you need help with that just shout - lots of kind folk here are good at that). The source package is here (I've not tried this, so cant verify it, btw.)

You may find some help on a previous thread on this site regarding Fedora 10, that's here: http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/red...e-10-help.html. I'm not sure if there's much detail there, though.

There are a few places that offer pre-built .rpms, such as this one, if you open the .rpm file from firefox with your package manager, it should go off and try to resolve the dependencies automatically for you.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

What are you trying to install? Alien should generally be a last resort.