Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm just wondering in a Network setting for Unix/Linux is there a program of some kind that operates on the server much like Active Directory for Windows. I mean I'm ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

[SOLVED] Active Directory/Directory Management

I'm just wondering in a Network setting for Unix/Linux is there a program of some kind that operates on the server much like Active Directory for Windows. I mean I'm 100% sure there is but I'm more or less looking for program names or a better description on how Linux organizes a directory for a network.

Edit: "Would assume it has something to do with an LDAP server" Not much of a server person sorry. More of a troubleshoot person you break it i fix it.

The one I've used before is 389 Directory Server. It's got quite a nice interface (written in java), but like all LDAP systems, it really helps if you understand how they work. It's all free OSS, so you're free to give it a go.

It used to be called Fedora Directory Server, but it's not just aimed at RedHat platforms.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Ohhh ok. So Fedora has a specific OS geared toward Active directory.

But what if i wanted to run like Ubuntu, Debian, or FreeBSD I assume there is just a package i can get to configure the server to act like an LDAP?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Yes, it's called 389 Directory Server. Did you not read my post?

When I researched this a couple of years ago, the serious options I found were Open LDAP and Fedora Directory server. Because of the user interface, I found Fedora Directory Server to be easier to get on with.

Since then, they renamed the project 389 Directory Server, because it doesn't require Fedora, it's an LDAP for Linux. Remember, this is not Active Directory, it's LDAP - they're very simlar beasts but not identical.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

No I read your post. Just the way you had stated it made it sound like it was only for Fedora not other operating systems. Sorry