Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I have installed sl6 as a dual boot with XP , after a few gliches , java doesnt install properly from the package manager & needs downloading and installing from ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Audela bug on SL6

I have installed sl6 as a dual boot with XP , after a few gliches , java doesnt install properly from the package manager & needs downloading and installing from java web site , SElinux needs disabling using beesu , very handy program to run nautilus in root mode , as the astronomy software i wanted , scisoft , will not run if SELinux enabled. I still have one outstanding problem

AudeLA , an all in one image processor and analysis suit for astronomy , will not open.

I downloaded the software from the audela web site using package manager which then installed it and added its repos , but on clicking its icon in the menu , nothing happens. I have checked its permissions and that it is executable and tried launching it from its icon in /usr/bin , still nothing happens.

Help Please.

Cheers Steve.

Run the program from a terminal. Ideally, you'll get some output indicating the error.

For example
    Code:
    /usr/bin/audela
    or whatever the binary is called.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    I'll try it out and see if I can determine what your problem is. I'm running SL6 now myself. I'll get back to you when I can.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Ok. It seems the packages that can be downloaded (for Windows, Debian/Ubuntu, and RH) are 32-bit versions. If your SL6 was installed in pure 64-bit mode, then that might explain why it doesn't work. Have you tried building from source? I'm going to try that and will get back to you later.

Ok. Problem is that it is built to use tcl 8.4 libraries, and tcl on SL6 is at 8.5. So, I will do some diddling with the Makefile and see if I can get it to work with the newer version of TK/TCL. Assuming you downloaded the 32-bit rpm file, it makes sense that it won't run since you don't have the 8.4 tcl shared libraries.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    Ok. Problem is that it is built to use tcl 8.4 libraries, and tcl on SL6 is at 8.5. So, I will do some diddling with the Makefile and see if I can get it to work with the newer version of TK/TCL. Assuming you downloaded the 32-bit rpm file, it makes sense that it won't run since you don't have the 8.4 tcl shared libraries.
    Yes i'm using a 32 bit architecture , and after running in terminal , it came to the same conclusion , no libtcl8.4 , i'd apreciate your help resolving this as i'm fairly new to linux and altering makefiles is as yet beyond me.

cheers steve.

Well, no joy in mudville. With some hacking I was able to get the source package to build, but there are missing libraries that while they have the source for them, they are unbuildable due to interface bugs (librgb, etc). I also found a 64-bit rpm package, but it keeps complaining about needing the tk and tcl 8.5 libraries, which I have, so I can't install that way.

Ok. Skipped installing with Yum and went direct to an RPM install with the --nodeps option. It installed, and sort of runs, after I created a couple of links in /usr/lib64 for libtk8.5.so.0 and libtcl8.5.so.0 that were missing. There are still some missing libraries that I haven't found, though the UI comes up and it may work without the missing pieces. Here are the errors
    Code:
    couldn't load file "libak.so": libgsl.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    couldn't load file "libgsltcl.so": libgsl.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    couldn't load file "libjm.so": libgsl.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    couldn't load file "libbm.so": libgsl.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    couldn't load file "libyd.so": libgsl.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    Here is a link to the 64-bit RPM file that I installed: ftp://fr2.rpmfind.net/linux/sourcefo...0-2.x86_64.rpm

You might be able to fool it into using the TK and TCL 8.5 files. Try this in /usr/lib (as root):
    Code:
    ln -s libtcl8.5.so libtcl8.4.so.0
    ln -s libtk8.5.so libtk8.4.so.0
    and see what happens when you try to run audela. Also, if you run it from a command line, you will see what errors are happening.

Just Joined!

libraries

I looked in the /usr/lib/ directory and both sets of the 8.4 & 8.5 files are present , but the 8.4 files have an emblem on the top right of an arrow pointing NE. The 8.5 files dont have this emblem , could this be the problem , and what does the emblem mean , i checked the permissions and all are executable.

cheers Steve.

I think that indicates that the file is a link. If you right click on the file name you should get a menu of options, including "properties". That will show you what's what with that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast