Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am trying to decide which music player to go with. I have used Rythmbox, Exaile and Banshee and they all have their good points and flaws, which I'm not ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Either at home or at work or down the pub

Gnome music player

I am trying to decide which music player to go with. I have used Rythmbox, Exaile and Banshee and they all have their good points and flaws, which I'm not going into here.

In your opinion what is the best Gnome based Music player / collection manager?
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

I'm not sure if it's still around, but I used to use XMMS the most because it supported a lot of the music formats that I used. For a Gnome based player though, I prefer Rhythmbox. It has the best layout and the most features of the three programs you've mentioned.

Just Joined!
    Just my 2c worth, so take it for what it's worth.

*At the moment* I'd say it's a toss-up between Rythmbox and Banshee. I have no experience with exaile. From what I've see playing with a collection of 100+ ripped CDs, both RB and Banshee seem to be equally capable. I personally think rythmbox has just a smidgen more of a 'professional/polished' "feel" to it, but that's just me.

What gives me pause from unequivocally leaning towards RB is that some distros (ie Ubuntu) are apparently dropping RB in favor of Banshee in their next release. It makes me wonder: what do they know that I don't?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    In Ubuntu I run Exaile and Rythmbox both. In AntiX I now use QMMP and Goggles.

I know you live overseas Elija. But I love Pianobar for just earbud listening to streaming radio. I run that in all my installs, Puppy, AntiX, and Ubuntu. Does not eat up any ram is why I like it.

I run a old RCA MP3 2gig player that just syncs real easy with any player I use in any Linux distro also.

For GTK apps, my go to music player is Deadbeef.

Terrible name, but heads and tails above rhythmbox, banshee, etc., assuming you don't need all the ipod syncing, music store integration garbage.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    There's a few players I've never heard of to try out. Deadbeef is definitely an odd name though.

Thanks guys
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent