Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I've got a new Arch installation on a HP Mini netbook, and am in the process of getting all of my applications installed. I'm having issues getting LibreOffice to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

LibreOffice 3.3 Fatal Error

Hello,
    I've got a new Arch installation on a HP Mini netbook, and am in the process of getting all of my applications installed.

I'm having issues getting LibreOffice to start. I've tried both of the JRE available through pacman, and am get the same error.

From the terminal:
    Code:
    [Java framework]error in function createSettingsDocument (elements.cxx). javaldx failed!
    So, scoring the internet, and found for OOo if I were to change the permissions for ~/.openoffice would solve the error, and of course I attempted to substitute "open" for "libre" but I cannot find the directory.

All help appreciated!

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Well, the configuration directory is indeed ~/.libreoffice. I am running it on Ubuntu and Scientific Linux 6 as well as previously on CentOS 5.5. No problems here. What version of Java do you have installed?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    FWIW, I am using openjdk on my system currently, though I also have Oracle/Sun Java 1.6.0 and 1.5.0 installed for compatibility with other software.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I'm running "jre-6u24-2" which is the latest available via pacman, but I also have tried openjdk. I've got a desktop also running Arch, no issues with LibreOffice, running JRE.

I tried to make the ~/.libreoffice directory, set the permissions to allow me to write/edit, still the same error.

Just Joined!
    Also, LibreOffice starts fine via sudo in the terminal. It has to do something with my permissions, somewhere.

Sorry. At the end of my "helpful rope". I downloaded and installed LibreOffice directly on my SL6 (Scientific Linux / RHEL 6) system, and had no problems at all. I'm also running LO 3.3. I try to keep up-to-date in that regard.

If it starts fine with sudo then you are right it could be permissions. Try to start a different application that uses the jre as non-sudo. That will tell you if Java has permissions set to disallow your user.

Just Joined!
    I switched to openjdk and installed icedtea-web, which runs fine, but still the same errors from LibreOffice.
    Exploring /.libreoffice, there is nothing in the directory. OOo had /user/config/javasettings_Linux_x86.xml in there, so I made the directories, and the javasettings_Linux_x86.xml should have generated when starting LibreOffice. Still the same error, also did not generate the xml file.