Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi Everyone, I needed some help on how to use Parted Magic 5.10. Few days ago, I was planning to install Ubuntu along with Windows XP which i already had. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Need Help on Parted Magic 5.10....

Hi Everyone,

I needed some help on how to use Parted Magic 5.10. Few days ago, I was planning to install Ubuntu along with Windows XP which i already had. But before i could do anything my Windows XP crashed. So i messed around a little and ran the fixboot command from Windows System Recovery and i lost all partition information. Now while installing Windows XP or Ubuntu my 1TB HDD shows no partitions and in RAW state.... Originally it had 5 and full of data. I would like to recover the partitions and get my data back. Could anyone let me know how to use Parted Magic 5.10 to get the partitions and the data back... if at all it can be done. Looking forward to your help.

Testdisk is probably your best bet. It should be included with Parted Magic 5.10.

Just Joined!
    Is there any guide to using TestDisk?? Like how to recover partitions or how to check out if the data is all gone forever?

The link I posted above has documentation, including examples such as Undelete Files for NTFS.

I've only ever used testdisk once to recover some photos I accidentally deleted from a CF card. As I recall, it wasn't too difficult to figure out how to do what I wanted.

Just Joined!
    Oh... Didn't notice TestDisk was a link!

Thanks for the guide and thanks for the help. I would surely check it out!! And let you know the result. But should i hopeful or prepare for the worse. I think i messed up the partition table.

If you haven't tried to reformat or write anything to the disk, I would be cautiously optimistic.

Just Joined!
    Nope.... I didn't format my partitions yet! I was hoping some tool would help. So i still didn't do anything to the drive. All i did was install Windows XP in another temporary drive to see if the 1TB HDD had something in it. But to my disappointment, i found that the 1TB HDD partitions were not recognized!

Just Joined!
    I created a Live CD on a pen drive using Linux Live CD. Now when i boot from the USB drive i get a command prompt. But how in the world do i start test disk?? No command seem to resemble TestDisk!!

It should just be that you type
    Code:
    testdisk
    I'm pretty darn sure it's included with Parted Magic. (On another note, Parted Magic should boot to a graphical dekstop by default, too.)

You can try to find it's location with
    Code:
    which testdisk