Find the answer to your Linux question:
When trying run Skype on Oracle Enterprise Linux I get Code: ./skype ./skype: error while loading shared libraries: libQtDBus.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory If ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Skype does not work on Oracle enterprise Linux 5

When trying run Skype on Oracle Enterprise Linux
    I get
    Code:
    ./skype 
    ./skype: error while loading shared libraries: libQtDBus.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    If I use the static version I get

Code:
     ./skype 
    ./skype: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.9' not found (required by ./skype)
    Any ideas?

I have googled both of these but without sucessed.

If I try to install the latest version of GLIB I get
    Code:
    glib-1.2.10-20.el5.i386 already installed and latest version
    Nothing to do
    I think I need a later version of qt-x11 but I can find a package to install it.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    I assume that you are running 64-bit OEL? Even if not, this means that you need to install a bunch of 32-bit libraries. I had the same problem on my Scientific Linux 6 system, and it took an hour or so and about a half dozen package installations to get it to work. Unfortunately, I didn't note down what they all were... In any case, keep at it. It can work, in either a 32-bit or 64-bit environment. I'm happily skyping now with my bluetooth headset and video camera working.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Actually I think I have 32 bit
    Code:
    uname -a
    Linux david.local 2.6.18-238.el5PAE #1 SMP Tue Jan 4 15:50:36 EST 2011 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
    I am not sure.
    Is there anyway you can find out what libraries you used?

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Yes, this is 32-bit, with extended addressing, so the OS can use more than 4GB of ram (although each process is still limited to 4GB). So, you are missing libraries. You need to determine which libraries are missing, install the packages they are part of, and then retry again. As I said before, this took me an hour or so, and a half-dozen package installations to get sorted out.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Thanks I will give it a go.