Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am new Linux and the most part I love it. It make my computer run smoother and games on Linux. The only I can't stand is that I use ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Converting Exe. Files?

I am new Linux and the most part I love it. It make my computer run smoother and games on Linux.

The only I can't stand is that I use MagicJack so other exe. files. I have tried Photoshop or Manga Studio on Linux yet.

Anyway I download Wine, Virtual Box and VMware Player and none of work. So I was wondering if I could just convert the exe. files in Linux files and open the programs that way.

I am also using Linux Mint

Linux Guru
    Using wine or a virtual machine are the only ways I know how to run windows apps from Linux. Have you read the documentation before or after installing either? None work doesn't mean much. They obviously work as there are millions of users with these programs installed and used.

If you could post a specific problem you should get some help.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    Using wine or a virtual machine are the only ways I know how to run windows apps from Linux. Have you read the documentation before or after installing either? None work doesn't mean much. They obviously work as there are millions of users with these programs installed and used.

If you could post a specific problem you should get some help.
    When I double click on magicjackSetup.exe, this is the message I get:

No suitable decoder module:
    VLC does not support the audio or video format "undf". Unfortunately there is no way for you to fix this.

when I right click on magicjackSetup.exe and tell it to Open with Wine Windows Program Loader, this is the message I get:

The file '/home/nathan/Desktop/magicJackSetup.exe' is not marked as executable. If this was downloaded or copied from an untrusted source, it may be dangerous to run. For more details, read about the executable bit.

I don't know what I am doing what wrong.

Linux Guru
    I haven't had wine installed for five years or more so I doubt if I will be able to help. I thinkl that the files needed to be in the wine folder which I believe is a hidden folder in your /home/nathan directory. You just have it on your /home/nathan/Desktop. I don't think that will work. I'd suggest going to the winehq site and reading some documentation.

Wine might run it if you make the setup program executable. In a terminal, enter
    Code:
    sudo chmod +x magicjackSetup.exe
    Then try running it with wine again. Some Windows programs won't run in wine, so it still might not work, but it's worth a try.

Note, Linux is case-sensitive, so you need to make sure the case of all the letters is correct. You can type the first few letters, then press the Tab key, and it should auto-complete the filename for you.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by cmj101 View Post
    When I double click on magicjackSetup.exe, this is the message I get:

No suitable decoder module:
    VLC does not support the audio or video format "undf". Unfortunately there is no way for you to fix this.

when I right click on magicjackSetup.exe and tell it to Open with Wine Windows Program Loader, this is the message I get:

The file '/home/nathan/Desktop/magicJackSetup.exe' is not marked as executable. If this was downloaded or copied from an untrusted source, it may be dangerous to run. For more details, read about the executable bit.

I don't know what I am doing what wrong.
    It sounds like your .exe files are improperly mapped to VLC instead of Wine. Right click on the file name in your file manager and select "open with" - then if Wine is not available, select "other" and tell it to use Wine to open the file.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!