Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

ODP (OpenOffice) corrupted repair

I am working on a Impress slide (Powerpoint odp file) using OpenOffice and the Fedora crashed. Now I reboot the computer and the file cannot be opened. It says OpenOffice.org 3.3 : General Error. General input/output error.

Is there a way to recover this file? I have a lot of slide written already.

Would there be a copy of this file in a cache somewhere?

I tried to unzip it and even copy the file to windows to use winrar, but it didn't work.
    I cannot unzip it.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    It sounds like your system disc has developed a problem, otherwise this would not be happening. Connect an external hard drive (USB or eSata) or USB thumb drive. Boot with a recovery/live CD/DVD, Mount your system/data drive, backup the data you need, and then (if successful) run 'fsck -c -f /dev/sdXN' where /dev/sdXN (probably /dev/sda) is your system drive partition(s). If you cannot access/backup your data, then you will need to run fsck first, and then try. In any case, you have likely experienced a serious disc failure. Open Office itself will rarely (if ever) cause a general system crash.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Repair ODP Open Office corrupted files

Impress is known as an effective alternative which help to create presentations. With the help of this Open Office Impress, you can create multimedia presentation which are rich in special effects, animations etc. This application finds its usage everywhere similar to that of PowerPoint like for business, students, teachers, individuals, etc.
    But this file could get corrupted any moment for various reasons such as virus attack, improper handling, system shutdown, power failure while working on this application, and so on.

Some common general error message that could appear are;

• “Error reading file.”
    • “The file Slide show.odp is corrupt and therefore cannot be opened.”
    • “The file ‘file.odp’ could not be repaired and therefore cannot be opened.”
    • “Error message: “Presentation gone.”
    • “Error message: “NetRender.odp error.”
    • ‘file.odp’ is corrupt and therefore cannot be opened’.

Therefore maintaining all time back-up is foremost important thing to be done to avoid such situations. But if you lack with back-up then you can try out for some repair tool like Impress File Repair Tool that’s designed professionally to solve any sort of error related to Open Office Impress ODP files.

impress.filerepairtool.net/

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    LibreOffice is much more robust these days. OpenOffice compatible, but handles MS Office files much better.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!